Cable and DSL redundancy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lwlee, Jun 19, 2006.

1. lwlee

lwlee

I'm looking at the D-Link DI-LB604. It's a load balancing router that can take a DSL and a Cable modem connection for double the bandwidth as well as automatic failover redundancy.

Anyone used something like this? Or have a better solution? I really like the ability to pool the bandwidth.

2. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

3. lwlee

lwlee

Yep, some people had problems with the DLink. I'm reading up more about dual wans. Definitely something a daytrader should not be without. There are a number of competing products in this category. Just a matter of finding the best one.

Good article
    Dual WAN SOHO/Home Routers

4. i use a xincom xc-dgp602...

works great...load balance up and down

5. Just so you know, it really can't pool the bandwidth.

Load balancing just means that if you have multiple internet connections they will be balanced across the two WAN links.

Individual packets that make up each connection cannot be load balanced, they will all go over the same link. The only way you could load balance at the packet level is if both connections were to the same ISP and they offered some sort of link bonding/aggregation like EtherChannel. Since you are talking cable & DSL I'm sure that isnt the case.

So if you have only a single connection between you and your broker then this router will not provide any additional bandwidth, the connection will either be using one link or the other, not both.

6. lwlee

lwlee

BitTorrent type transfers will benefit greatly from a dual wan setup. Multiple apps hitting the web like charting packages, background downloads will also benefit. Somewhat like the argument concerning dual core processors, apps that were not MP aware like games didn't benefit but the endusers' experience still improved because multiple apps were snappier.

7. I've seen home Cable/DSL routers that have a dial-up modem backup capability (example: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=59) but nothing that would load-balance between the two (not sure if that's what you're asking)

I think the difference in speed is so great that most people wouldn't want to bother try to load balance a broadband connection using a dial-up connection.

8. Winter,

many thanks for the reply.

Basically I want something that is transparent to the datafeed and broker if one of the lines goes out. I tried wingate's "gateserver" and although it offers fail-safe it does not offer transparent use. Which means that the broker interface needs logging in again and what is worse: my datafeed needs to be restarted (a pain if I am not at my desk when it happens, get gaps in the data).

Perhaps another PC in the middle and set that up as some kind of proxy server, I do not know enough about these matters.

Thanks
    vital analitics

9. Have you considered getting a second DSL connection (from a different ISP), then you can use one of the many dual-WAN routers to accomplish (some of) what you want.

No matter how you end up doing it I suspect the software will require re-connecting/re-logging in. The router can failover for you but that wont solve your problem. If the interface can be configured to do that automatically for you then it may appear transparent but it won't really be.

The only way to keep tcp sessions up is if your IP address doesnt change (you can't hand off an existing session from one IP to the other - the far end won't allow it) and I don't see that kind of high-availability feature being offered for any residential broadband service.

#10     Jun 22, 2006