CA Judge you don't have to bake wedding cake for gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jem

jem

To me this is not about gay rights but liberty to not be forced by the state to bake a cake.

It would be a different set of issues is this was a pre made cake and they were excluding customers from purchasing it.

I would not force anyone to bake any kind of cake.

If the state tries to force someone to bake a cake... what else can they force someone to do?

At some early point don't anti slavery laws and the 13th amendment kick in.

http://bakersfieldnow.com/news/loca...against-same-sex-couple-suing-tastries-bakery

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — A Kern County judge on Monday night ruled in favor of the owner of Tastries Barkery, who the State of California argued in court engaged in unlawful discrimination when she decided not sell a custom wedding cake to a gay couple.

A professing Christian, Cathy Miller says she will sell gay people anything else in her bakery, but will not be made to celebrate a ceremony her faith finds objectionable. Miller and her attorneys equate designing a custom cake with speech and say California compelling speech she doesn't agree with violates her own constitutional rights.

Kern County Judge David Lampe published an opinion Monday night that said in part that "the right to free speech under the First Amendment outweighs the state's interest in ensuring a freely accessible marketplace."

2. Poindexter

Poindexter

I saw that earlier today, Mr. jem, and am pleasantly surprised that a judge in the People's Republic of California made the correct ruling. Those offended are free to buy their baked goods elsewhere.

3. jem

jem

I am sure you know it its mostly our politicians who are nuts.

A lot of our trial judges do try to follow the law and the constitution. ( i am not commenting on the 9th circuit.)

In terms of our people, I know is not a typical viewpoint... but I think Californians on the whole are great people. I think the main reason our vote is so wacked to the left is because of recent arrivals who will naturally vote for more govt and San Francisco.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018