CA Governor Schwarzenegger Looks to Illegal Drugs for Tax Revenue

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, May 7, 2009.

1. Eight

Eight

Legalization would end the debate about second hand smoke.

#21     May 7, 2009
  2. Shit I didn't know weed was illegal :D

#22     May 7, 2009
  3. TGregg

TGregg

That's the plan, Stan. When The Obamassiah springs his Universal Health Care on us, that'll be one of the selling points. "Look at how much healthier we'll be as a country with a trans-fat tax!"

#23     May 7, 2009
  4. CET

CET

It should be taxed just like cigarettes, and they are taxing the hell out of each pack. The math is not difficult.

#24     May 7, 2009

5. One problem here is that so many pot smokers grow their own stash and thus would skip on any tax revenue. Not that I object
    to legalization, but as a revenue source I Think it would be disappointing. I do wonder if big pharma feels threatened
    by this. It will be interesting to see how their lobby responds to this. Marijuana has a proven efficacy in treating many medical conditions. As a sleep aid it cannot be matched by any pill.

#25     May 7, 2009
  6. Didn't anyone see the CNBC special on pot in a few counties in California? It's a HUGE part of their economy in some places.

Medicinal is legal there and all the Feds can do is try to scare people here and there.

The licenses to smoke it are supposed to be easy to get too.

#26     May 7, 2009
  7. CET

CET

Legalization would take money out of the drug cartels' hands and save a massive amount we spend in tax dollars targeting growers here and prosecuting and incarcerating people for pot. And just think of all the people that would work for almost nothing on the massive pot farms. It will make a great reality show.

#27     May 7, 2009
  8. Where I live in San Diego county medicinal use of pot is legal as long as you have a "prescription" from a licensed MD. Most users have their own "Garden" in the home whereby they hone their horticulture skills. Where medicinal pot is legal home gardening takes on a whole new meaning.

http://www.familyhydroponics.com/elcajon.php

#28     May 7, 2009
  9. Pot is very mild compared to alcohol. With alcohol you can drink yourself to death or to a point of unconsciousness etc.. Also alcohol is know to bring the ugly side of certain individuals leading to fights etc..

Cigarettes are very addictive due to the nicotine and ammonia freebase formulation.

#29     May 8, 2009
  10. Legalizing pot will create a new class of criminal, blackmarket, tax evasion, etc.

#30     May 8, 2009