C++ ?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Sky123987, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

I have created a trading program in a .exe file. On the computer I created it, if I put it in a folder I can run the .exe file and the program works.

However if I run the .exe file on another computer (that does not have VS C++ on it) I get the following msg

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration in incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

I'm thinking that on the problem is that I don't have one of the libraries installed. I'm not sure how I include this w/ out installing VS C++ on this computer

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. GTS

GTS

I don't know if its still the case, but there used to be an option to statically link the libraries rather than dynamically linking them, thus no .DLL's required on the target machine. Of course the resulting exe is much larger....

3. ssmegner

ssmegner

I am not sure which version of Visual Studio or other developers tools you are using. But if you are using Visual Studio you can create an installer project which will create a MSI install package. In that package it is possible to include all the DLLs that you are dependant on. At installation the Windows installer will only install the missing pieces as needed.

4. j_geek

j_geek

Download this program and load your .exe into it. It will tell you all .dll's your program is dependent on and if any are missing from the box you are running on.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

5. bidask

bidask

pardon me. first, it's bad enough that you're using c++. second, since you're using visual c++, why are you bothering with mfc?

the "visual" in visual c++ means that you can build windows applications directly with visual c++

6. thank you for your helpful comment, as to why bothering w/ MFC because many of the APIs use MFC

7. exactly... half of the brokerage API examples use MFC.

#10     Aug 27, 2008