C vs. C++

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Trader.NET,

With a name like yours, you certainly have C# engraved on your eyeballs. I understand that this explains your myopic statement on my behalf:

"You seem to be bitter about a lot of things related to programming languages."

Keep faithful to the great leader. He will lead you to the stars.

Did I not just explain that this is an ET forum about trading. I don't care about your customers. Perhaps you don't have a single one! Many around here pretend to trade but only lose!

I simply communicated my approach to computer programming in my trading. May you keep happily trodding along with your dotnet C# thingie.

nononsense

#51     Dec 5, 2003
  2. Tell us about it dude. I did my best for Python already.

#52     Dec 5, 2003
  3. corvus

corvus

I am definitely not stating that I am an expert in Python but I do know what you are getting at. And I did not imply you are a missionary for replacing C, C++, Java or C#@&?.

However, I do stick by my contention that imho, you aren't being helpful.

#53     Dec 5, 2003
  4. Very kind of you to make this known. The feeling is mutual.

#54     Dec 5, 2003
  5. Nononsense (or better NonSense:)),

Again, you seem to be argumentive to say the least:) It does not help you get your point cross very efficiently. The reason I was refering to C# was just response to the comments you and CalTrader made about less demand in C# work.

Your comment "Did I not just explain that this is an ET forum about trading. I don't care about your customers. Perhaps you don't have a single one! Many around here pretend to trade but only lose!" is not helping your argument either.

Peace

#55     Dec 5, 2003
  6. Dude,

I never addressed you in an abrasive way. Have a look at what you started out with:

"You seem to be bitter about a lot of things related to programming languages."

Don't get worked up now about nononsense poking some fun about your pompous .NET C# decorum. You know nononsense likes fellows like you very much. As you don't seem to be capable of any more serious argumentation, I politely beg to be excused having to invent more funny things to poke fun at you.

Respectfully,

nononsense

#56     Dec 5, 2003
  7. No problem, throw whatever you have:D.

#57     Dec 5, 2003
  8. You must be a scarecrow to your customers C#.NET fella. No wonder you have a lot of time to loiter around here at ET. nononsense doesn't have to fool around with customers for a living.

#58     Dec 5, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

The fact is that most customers dont make language and environment decisions based upon objective facts. The decisions are usually driven by ficticious numbers related to ROI and emotional arguments often driven by their pre-existing realtionships with vendors and perceptions regarding how the choice will influence their marketability rather than help their company.

Most of the time the lowest cost solution is not what customers want. As I sais in another thread complexity sells. More often than not customers choose the more complicated solution and these choices are usually driven by someone needing to prove that they can implement the most complicated solution correctly rather than choosing the most cost effective route.

We dont make these marketing arguments: the big software and hardware vendors do and once these half-truths are promulgated it is nearly impossible to convince customers that a more efficient solution exists.

#59     Dec 6, 2003
  10. Hi CalTrader,

Very interesting what you write.

As to its implication for our ET thread: my sole purpose in using programming these days is to support my own trading operations. I have the feeling many posters in the software thread are in similar situations. So many here are in fact their own "customers".

Although you are quite right in your above observation, I believe most traders-programmers will instinctively tend to look for the most efficient solutions. For those who don't, I can hardly see how they ever are going to make any money trading! This depends of course on once willingness to learn and his skill in selecting tools based on more than "illusionary values".

Good to you,

nononsense

#60     Dec 6, 2003