C vs. C++

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Hi CoolTrader,

I agree with your point. Today I also think like you. If you carefully read my above post you can see that I try to see things in an historical perspective. I use Python a lot and go to C++ whenever I need it - not very much in fact. I also said that C# and Java did not make things a lot simpler!

Be good,

nononsense

#21     Dec 5, 2003
  2. Calm down and watch your own mouth.
    I was talking about accesss speed of cash on memory and files on HD.
    It's true Google Linux server load *Giga memory and cash the information there for the peformance.
    Ok, ok, you love Python and it must be a good language for DB.
    Again, what I assume is 'for begginer'. Go to a bookstore. How many VB books for begginers? How many books for Python? Google VB or Python.
    Well, I am not a big fun of VB. Just telling you the prior situation. Now C# would be the alternative of VB6. (VB.net and C# are twins)

#22     Dec 5, 2003
  3. Nononsense, I know nothing about Python. How do you compare Python to C#/Java in terms of productivity? When you got .net, you have everything in one package, e.g. I can develop database programs using ADO and SQL Server. How do you accomplish that in Python? I'm afraid it's much more time consumeing.

#23     Dec 5, 2003
  4. Hi CoolTrader,

Glad you asked me! To tell you the truth, I am still a student of the whole thing, I admit.

(1) Productivity: C#/Java didn't improve anything over C/C++. Productivity depends chiefly on the surrounding IDE (integrated development environment). VC++6, Borland C++ builder, Visual.Net, J++builder etc are all comparable. I think it is fair to say that Java neither C# changed much for "productivity". If you are in a major project, I feel it is safer to stick with C and C++. C# is largely unproven and going by the time it took M$ to get its Visual straightened out in the past, they still have a couple of years to go with the new stuff. Read earlier posts on ET for examples of this.

(2) Start with www.python.org. A lot is available. It took me some time to make some sense of all this. Many options. Not like a single Java or a single C# option only! (I must say that I looked a bit at Sun's Java development-platform. Coming from the high-priced Sun fellows, I wouldn't trust them too much for the future. It's free right now, but their office also used to be free. Also, with what I learned in the meantime Java is no match for Python).
    Many IDE's are available for Python - commercial, sometimes high-priced, most of it as good and free if you look well. Most of it is TRULY multiplatform.

I settled for wxPython and the Boa IDE. Although that the Boa is still alpha software (free), I can truly say that it works 100% - no comparison with M$'s IDE of some years back. As to productivity, none of what I write here will convince you. You will have to find out for yourself - it's simply mind-blowing!

(3) I am a 300% db fellow. So your question on this was very very important to me. Whereas I struggled a lot in the past with all the DAO, ODBC, Ole, ADO, Activex and other M$ niceties in trying to talk to my M$Access and M$SQLServer db's (it's going somewhat better these days), you will be surprised finding that you can access almost any db with the MANY free libraries available for Python. Even M$ db's work well with it!

(4) CoolTrader, I want to make money trading! The last thing I want to do is get involved with things that you call "time consuming".

(5) CoolTrader, if you tend to believe 5% of what I am telling you, look around a bit, then work very hard on it and you will have found the key to HIGH productivity. I cannot convince you more. To read something about Python's philosophy read "Guido Van Rossum", he is the Kerninghan of Python. I could go on for many pages, but I would not be able to do as well.

Good to you,

nononsense

#24     Dec 5, 2003
  5. Dude,

It may help if you would once in a while push on your little "spelling checker" button. I also was puzzled by your "cash the information". You probably want to say "cache the information".

As per your suggestion, on your next trip to the bookstore, take once a peek into some of these VB and possibly Python books you appear to recommend. This will help also in finding out about some of the basic terminology.

Yours truly,

nononsense

#25     Dec 5, 2003
  6. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

There are many low-level jobs still around if you look. The problem is that they now pay next to nothing. Many of these jobs have gone overseas during the last three years and this has served to lower the rates that can be obtained here in the states.

This is just my opinion - and keep in mind that I run a software company: I would not look to leave the financial sector to go into software. High level people with many years of experience are still doing ok to very well. People just entering the field are going to have a much more difficult time and should think twice about this choice as career.

#26     Dec 5, 2003
  7. Well, speaking of my English as second language, I will not excuse. However, it also provides me an ability to distinguish who is the person with genuine virtue and who is not.
    Anyway, now, I am not interested in your fanatic passion to Python at all. Whatever the crap is, just notice that recommending such a minor language to a beginner will produce another tragedy you have now.

#27     Dec 5, 2003
  8. Hi Dude,

What about your Google example? Did you check on this? It might make you a bit more "genuinely virtuous" as you say. Better do before you post any more of what you call "crap".

nononsense

#28     Dec 5, 2003
  9. NIL

programming is one of the most underappreciated occupations in the world, right up there next to toliet bowl cleaner

if you succeed at getting a job, then don't depend upon it, as it will disappoint...and in a hurry

#29     Dec 5, 2003
  10. I have to disagree with python.

Its a pretty nice language, and I have done significant work in it.

However, python has had its chance and simply has not,
    and probably will not be embraced by the industry
    as much as java and C#, EVEN IF IT DESERVES TO BE.

10 years from now, I would seriously doubt that python
    will have taken a lead over java and C#.

Futher, to say that C# and java have not improved on C++
    is simply wrong. Ask any C++ guy who has moved over
    to the newer language and he will probably tell you thats its
    easier and more productive.

Simply having garbage collection is HUGE. That alone cuts
    down development and maintenance costs by large factors.

Your way off base here.

Ive programmed in probably 15+ languages and have
    designed and implemented 3 of my own for very custom projects.

java and C# are significant steps above C++ and python
    is a nice language, that will probably never compete with them.

That is my OPINION based on over 2 decades of programming
    and industry experience.

peace

axeman

#30     Dec 5, 2003