C++, Visual C++ 6, Visual C++.net, C#

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jerryz, Oct 1, 2005.

1. slacker

slacker

One reason may be that anyone who can develop good code in C++ can write just as well in Java. However, someone with only Java experience will have a harder time bootstrapping into C++. (Not just my opinion... but this could be considered flame bait for a person who has only done Java. I work with both a lot...Hey, its just my opinion.)

My vote for a programming system would be Visual Studio VC++. I can write, and download C widgets from many places on the web, write nice looking apps with excellent drawing tools, interface to Java easily, easy interface to any database connection and load and write data to any place on the web easily. I can also run my apps on Linux with WINE. The IB TWS API drops into VC++ MFC apps easily with excellent examples on their site. Other trading systems with an API will have MFC or at least C interfaces. MFC sucks, but it is very powerful once you have taken the time to learn it. If I wanted to commercialize my code I can do it easier than if it were in other frameworks.

Anyone thinking about writing a system from scratch has probably underestimated the amount of time it will take. (I like to code, and I only develop stuff that is not available from any other source.)

Good trading and good coding!!

#21     Oct 1, 2005
  2. Kool. Who did you teach for ? I taught for Microsoft, and for stanford university.

.. And just what is it about the idea of programming an adaptive or rules based trading system that you dont understand ? What is it about the activities of a "quant" that you dont understand ?

...there still seems to be hiring for people with "quant" skills and I expect that the demand will continue for quite some time .....

#22     Oct 1, 2005
  3. Because i don't have the answer to my questions.
    And i took C++ course and found too hard to master it.

Secondly, i never said i was a programmer. I am just
    avarage EL coder. Any C++ programmer i think should
    have answer to simple questions that i asked.

I hope everything is clear now.

#23     Oct 1, 2005
  4. Choad

Choad

I can say, for a fact, a reliable, stable and profitable auto trading system can be built in good ole VB 6.0.

Like others here have said, it's the programmer, not the sw... :cool:

#24     Oct 1, 2005
  5. M$, hehe. Not at Stanford either but not far away from it.

About adaptive systems. A big chunk of my career as been in this domain. Although computers are great tools, programming languages don't solve anything in this area. Software engineers are generally absolutely lacking in training about adaptive system theory. Hiring a programmer to solve a problem of this nature is completely nutty.

Now, mind you, skill in adaptive control and/or system theory doesn't necessarily amount to much if you try to make money with it in the market. I like the 'quant' neologism because it perfectly keeps up with the great traditions of "Extraordinary Popular Belief and the Madness of Crowds".

#25     Oct 1, 2005
  6. Holmes

Holmes

I just keep on smiling here with my stock standard charting packages.

I am able to "translate" my market philosophy which is working on ALL timeframes and ALL markets and trade BOTH counter trend and trend following (note this statement!!!) in a few simple charts.

My charting packages allows me to visualise what effect the individual players have on the market (bots, flippers, daytrader goats, swing traders, positon players, hedge funds and what have you, but these are the major ones) and how the individual actions of each affect the others. :D :D :D

The human psychology of fear and greed has not changed over the thousands of years and I enjoy seeing the "bait and switch" (as one ET'r elsewhere so elogantly put it).

I am so ever thankful for those who believe in "sophisticated" systems (one should look up the word "sophist' in the Collins English Dictionary, LOL) and the quants who believe in building mediocre systems.

Exactly. May take a long time and the big question is how long does it take you to get there (if ever) and how do you survive in the intervening period.

Why would I want to share my thoughts with anyone (when it is grossing me big $$$) when I can make "THAT wonderfull (not!) salary from an employer (like 130K)" and more in a far shorter timeframe with some mouse clicks by myself? ( And not having any idiots to deal with, no academic heads in the clouds (read quants, pun intended), just peace with me and me. No requirements for "excellent communication skills" like that matters when you have to program / build a system, LOL.

Free to take off a day, a week, a month or more whenever I feel like it. Free to make the changes that I would like to make (has not been necessary for quite a long time now). Free to travel and trade from a location of my choosing. Free to roll out of bed when I want. Why be a slave to some computer environment and that ties you down in one location? Left paid employment to gain freedom, not to loose it.

The only thing one can argue is that computers have a better attention span than a human but my counter argument is that you cannot leave them alone. In addition this would only be true if one is trading the extreem short timeframe for pennies (or parts thereoff. And as others have stated: only the long term trading makes you the big $$$'s). There are (and always will be) exceptions to the rule. And you only can take advantage of these if you understand what it is all about. As Don Bright mentioned on ET the other day: There are times that he had to "turn the fr*&%$#ing thing off".

I have yet to see any automated / quant system getting to the same level that Jessie Livermoore, Keene (to mention a few) achieved.

If it was true then one would have seen one hedgefund taking the lot (the one who figured it all out first), and we have not seen it yet have we?

High tech is not necessary, it is imho even detrimental (because of distracting ones focus), to achieving high performance in trading. The "mandatory" need for knowing high tech is just another piece of BS.

And all the above is in line of what Schabacker mentioned in his book: better to draw the charts by hand than have them drawn before you.

I bid ya all farewell, I am starting now on another life trip and am leaving ET behind. (no time to spend here)

Thanks to those who exchanged their ideas, views, opinions and what have you with me.

Good trading to ya all.

Sherlock

#26     Oct 1, 2005
  7. ozzy

ozzy

Take Care Holmes.

Hope everything works out.

#27     Oct 1, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

Oh yeah, we are all just lining up to show it to you.

BWAHAHAHA. Too funny.

nitro :D

#28     Oct 1, 2005
  9. mahras2

mahras2

There are quantitative funds making multiples of what Livermore made in his lifetime. And this is without blowing up multiple times, filing bankruptcy and committing suicide. And they have a better life to boot.

#29     Oct 1, 2005
  10. Amen to that... !

A number of firms on Wall Street use VB for many of their platforms because the RAD advantage of it sometimes outweighs its higher level clunkiness...

:)

cj...

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#30     Oct 1, 2005