C++, Visual C++ 6, Visual C++.net, C#

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jerryz, Oct 1, 2005.

1. For the largest bond fund we used/use only C++ - not $soft. However some of the systems were based upon the $net/$soft platform but the majority of the mission critical systems that actually run the funds were based upon straight C++ or other systems. The $soft stuff was used on some of the front end systems. In my own operations I used the designs I did for the fund and re-architected portions of hte design - better than the integrations I did at the bond fund - and moved that into strictly open source solutions - with some memory resident databases or the capability to turn this on for heavier loads.

#11     Oct 1, 2005
  2. This actually reads: We want someone with a PhD and ten years of hard core experience, whose systems have made 100's of millions of dollars and who will work 70 hours per week.

We will pay 130K with employment at will: Once we are done with your building our systems will we let you move on and your revenue stream is over while we make our 100 million using the technology.

...OR you can just use your skills to build your own company. Hmmm I wonder which is the better choice ?

#12     Oct 1, 2005
  3. No, You brother can't help you if he isn't a trader.
    You can start creative thinking if you are both.

Writing your Trading application requires tremendous
    programing skills for not encountering any obstacle
    in the process.
    Many traders in ET claim to have written their own
    trading platforms are bluffers.

Hope someone can answer my questions, especially
    the second question?

#13     Oct 1, 2005
  4. Bowgett

Bowgett

Don't bowther learning Visual Studio 2003 .NET. Visual Studio 2005 .NET is almost out :D

#14     Oct 1, 2005
  5. ozzy

ozzy

We'll see what happens. First thing first I need to build my account back to where it was.

But I truly feel that digital is the way to go in this business. As fascinating as the human brain can be it can only process so much information at any given time.

#15     Oct 1, 2005
  6. Yeah,
    After that .NET.Visual Studio 2006.NET is coming in keeping up babysitting till M$ found out what they really ought to do with the .NET stuff. They are trying it all out secretly and patiently on laggard hasta la vista.

Great for quant-style number crunching if you don't know anything better in trying to wring money out of the market.
    :D :D :D

#16     Oct 1, 2005
  7. If you are contemplating a Quant career then C++, its a Quant macho thing...

http://www.wilmott.com/categories.cfm?catid=5

Infact during interviews you are usually grilled on the dustier corners of C++. For some reason many quant managers seem to think that knowledge of obscure C++ facts makes great programmers :confused:

I didn't say its meant to make sense, this is how it is.

#17     Oct 1, 2005

8. I agree:
    Many people on ET that claim to know about trading systems are indeed bluffers.

So with your high opinions about who knows what, why cant YOU answer the questions ?

#18     Oct 1, 2005
  9. As a matter of fact, I have often been invited to conduct C++ master classes for a rather very prestigeous computer outfit. I can safely tell you that in order to make money in the market, you need to depend 99% on the computer between your ears. C++ may serve you extremely well in the exceptional nitty gritty parts. If you are smart enough, you'll never need any at all. (I wrote a lot about that in other threads).

Equalizer's information about quant bosses' styles of conducting "new talent" interviews appears to me perfectly consistent with my above wholesale quant firing stories as picked up from dependable ET sources.

Let's all be happy about this situation. Lots of opportunity to make money in the market remains open to the nimble, as long as the .NET stuff and, to a lesser degree, the C++ dust, will remain the cherished tools in a quant's bag of tricks.

nononsense
    :cool:
    PS: I admit that I never understood much about the 'quant profession'. It's something that is for sure going to be completely forgotten after the next bear tsunami.

#19     Oct 1, 2005
  10. Yes, and its pretty easy to construct a question that the interviewer cant answer using the dustier corners of C++ as well, especially ones where there are differences between compiler implementations. My favorite tactic wit h these types of knuckleheads was to first thoroughly answer their questions and then when we get to the part where I get to ask questions pose two or three of these mind numbing questions that few people except compiler writers would answer correctly: especially if I didn't want the gig. In about 95 percent of the cases the interviewer(s) gave the wrong answer. I would then tell them that the answers were wrong, give them the correct answer and tell them I probably would not fit in with the technical abilities of their team.

Moral of the story: If you really need to prove your self worth by wasting peoples time with largely irrelevant minutia you just might find that talent will bypass your company......

#20     Oct 1, 2005