C++ programming for noobs

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by forsalenyc, Dec 30, 2008.

1. #41     Jan 2, 2009
  2. I would prefer the route of from C, C++ then Java.

If you want to go with Microsoft garbage languages such VB, Visual C++ and C#(from debacle visual java); beware their libraries are non-standard, proprietary and patented. Worst of all; only runs on the latest version Windows. :D Good luck with Microsoft, hoping it will still alive and kicking in couple of years.

#42     Jan 2, 2009
  3. For a beginning programmer wanting to learn C++, I would recommend the book "Deitel and Deitel C++ How to Program".

Another good beginning C++ book is "Accelerated C++". This book starts with the standard (template) library and progresses from there.

#43     Jan 2, 2009
  4. lel4866

lel4866

I have been a software engineer for over 40 years. I do it for a living. Right now my language of preference is C#, although I mostly use Ruby, Java and C++ at work.

I would recommend either C# or Java to start with. Note that besides the language, and important issue is also the development environment. With C# you essentially have no choice - use Visual Studio from Microsoft. They have a version - Visual Studio Express that I believe is free.

For Java, my recommendation is Netbeans from Sun. It's also free. I prefer it to Eclipse by a wide margin - especially for a beginner.

I suggest you not get involved in the religious language wars. Both C# and Java are excellent, modern, fast object oriented languages. One of the key things they bring to the table over C++ is automatic memory management and do not use pointers - a source of hard to find programming bugs - even for experienced developers. They are both about 1.5-2 times slower, on average than C++.

While it's true that the IB Client is wriiten in Java, it's interface to your program would be through a TCP/IP socket - which, for your purposes, is just a stream of characters. Your program sends the characters to the IB Client running on your machine, which then uses a proprietary protocol to talk to the remote IB servers. I have written a ton of both C# and Java to use the IB Client.

Good luck!

#44     Jan 3, 2009
  5. lel4866 very well said. Do you have a particular library/wrapper you like to use to interface C# with IB's api?

#45     Jan 3, 2009
  6. lel4866

lel4866

http://www.dinosaurtech.com/

Works great. Well architected. You get full source code and it actually compiles. I make occassional mods, like adding new constants for my own error messages, etc. I've never run into a problem, but I haven't come close to using all the functions.

#46     Jan 3, 2009