C++ guy with quant knowledge..

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by vibeofboston, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hi folks,

i have been doing lotta reading on quant finance books and wrote some sample code as well [i am pretty good at c++]. i want to become a trader now that i have good exposure to finance markets..
    i know how to model but i dont know the inputs to that model..what i mean is i need a traders mind to first create strategies/exit plans and then i can write the code accordingly..

any suggestions where i can find hardcore books on day trading..

2. sakhter

sakhter

are you sure you "wrote" sample code? Or did you just copy & compile the sample code given to you in books you're reading?

"i want to become a trader now that i have good exposure to finance markets.."

How can you have "a good exposure to financial markets," by reading a few quant books and sample code? Have you made a trade yet? Have you made a trade based on what "your models" suggested?

"i know how to model but i dont know the inputs to that model.."

Then you don't know how to model. To model you must be aware of inputs/outputs (X,Y,Z and sometimes the imaginary plane)

"i need a traders mind to first create strategies/exit plans and then i can write the code accordingly.."

!?!?? Ok, answers my previous question.

Then start trading!! The only way to acquire the "mind of a trader" is to actually trade!!

The only way you will make decent $ from quant models is to have a model that no one has.. meaning you need to construct your own, and not "edit canned strategies" (ie. you would need to be aware of inputs/outputs)

Books only give you a glimpse of the research tactics used. But it's only the tip of the ice-berg (otherwise, UBS, JPM, high-freq groups, other black-box groups would have their strategies available publicly)

Here are some books: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-380787.html

Hope they teach you something.. because all they taught me was to state my own hypothesis, conduct my own research, and come up with my own conclusions.

Happy Trading!

3. Go write in Tradestation.