C going under?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Retired, Mar 4, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

10-15% approval ratings for congress, yet, 85% of them are re-relected every year. F*cking pathetic. We get what we deserve from our government.

If we could get half as much attention to the real issues facing the US that Brittney Spears and American Idol get, we might get somewhere.

#21     Mar 4, 2008
  2. But in 91/90 there was something good to look forward to. Declining inflation, declining interest rates from higher levels, the beginning of the internet revolution, end of cold war, America the superpower, etc. What are the catalysts in this case? We have the exact opposite picture.

#22     Mar 4, 2008
  3. i wonder what US banks get broken up and have their parts auctioned off to other banks?

at some point bailouts won't work, a real solution will be needed.

#23     Mar 4, 2008
  4. its not just ppl here, billy miller is one of those bag holders. i couldn't believe when i seen him mention over a year ago that risk spreads said stocks should go higher.

can't believe him and so many others went for 'value' in financials when commodities were much better plays.

#24     Mar 4, 2008
  5. you're right, c might actually have more off balance sheet activity...

#25     Mar 4, 2008
  6. If Citi can raise another 867 billion, they'll be out of the woods.

#26     Mar 5, 2008
  7. mokwit

mokwit

gummint brokered mergers (after split into good bank bad bank) as an alternative to failures and bank runs.

#27     Mar 5, 2008
  8. I went to a Primerica presentation where the guy said C was the 4th branch of govmint, HA!

#28     Mar 5, 2008
  9. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Looking at the weekly chart of Citigroup I consider it a buy especially so when looking for long opps off shorter time frame charts keeping stops as small as possible, potential reward is there alright.

#29     Mar 5, 2008
  10. lol you're joking right? How would people know of the "internet revolution" in 1990? Anyways, here are some headlines of 1990/91. They read just like today's.

"1990 INFLATION RATE OF 6.1 PERCENT HIGHEST SINCE '81"
    Lexington Herald Leader - NewsBank - Jan 17, 1991

"Fuel prices boost inflation Rise is highest since '81"
    Dallas Morning News - NewsBank - Sep 19, 1990

"Inflation Spiral or Recession: Which Is Worse?"
    Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Sep 2, 1990

"TOUGH CALLS AWAIT FED INFLATION, RECESSION THREATS LIMIT ACTION"
    Roanoke Times - NewsBank - Aug 21, 1990

"1990 inflation hit 9-year high Prospect of war remains a question"
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - NewsBank - Jan 16, 1991

"A 1990 recession could be deep and painful. Most economists agree that the record borrowing binge of the 1980s has left the U.S. economy's private sector singularly unprepared for tough times. Worse still, the Government's fiscal profligacy in those years has drained it of any reserves that could be used to counter recessionary forces." Time Magazine, Monday, Feb. 12, 1990

#30     Mar 5, 2008