C:\ Drive Partitions Advice Required ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Digs, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Digs

Digs

I am currently working out how to partition my drives with XP2

I have 90 GB free on my C:

I want to do this my drives like this
    F:\ 10 GB : Files storage
    E: \ 5 GB : Internet and email and downloads (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook)
    C: \ 15 GB : Windows OS XP2 - All standard OS programs.
    D:\ 70 GB : Installed Programs - Third party applications, working software.

I will be using Acronis Director suite to do all this.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

Question : To install Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook on the E:\ drive, I guess I unintall them from the C:\ and move them to E:\.
    Does this ensure all the temp folders and caches end on the E: and not the C: drive for internet explorer. Also does this ensure that my email inbox and sent box data files are on the E: and not the C: as well ???

Just want all data thats associated with the internet in its own partition ??

Any advice welcome ??

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

it sound more trouble than it worth given the fact that it is still the same hard drive no matter how many partitions you create.

3. C:\ = primary hd
    D:\ = future secondary hd
    E:\ ....

4. no, it is not.

basically you can do a backup to one of the other partitions and restore, you can keep the crap on one and the valuable data on another.

no need to uninstall, in internet explorer , tools, internet options, settings you can do a "move folder".

similarly you can do the same for outlook express, under tools, options, maintenance you can do a store location.

now this does not assure all the temporary files being relocated, this you can do in control panel, system, properties, advanced, environment variables and change the tmp and temp locations.

While you are at it you may go to windows explorer, right click on "my documents", properties and relocate my documents to a better location.

And then to safeguard intermediate data backups you may go to microsoft and get their "synctoy". Then get from Truecrypt.org their software and make a "container" which is a virtual hard disk which is encrypted. Back up to the "virtual hard drive" and then unmount the virtual hard drive. If you ever get a virus you'll be glad that all your data is backed up there.

basically what we have done is split all the "installation" from the backups.

C:\ = Programs
    D:\ = Data
    E:\ = Backup
    F:\ = Scratch

Maria

PS I use sizes which are a tad under 16 Gb, 32Gb (maximum size in FAT32 am not using NTFS for back ups, sometimes the parition is not being recognised properly while FAT32 almost always is unless something real serious has happened).

5. You may know this already, but just in case...whatever you do, unless you know what you're doing, make sure not to create your new volumes as 'dynamic' volumes'. I built a rig recently and had a friend install Win XP for me. I asked for a partitioned HD and the two sides ended up as dynamic volumes. Once this is done it's a hassle to work with them using Director Suite, Partition Magic, etc. I need to convert them to basic volumes to be able to work with them.

At least this has been my experience. I defer to all you tech heavyweights.

6. I may be mistaken but that may mean a reinstall :-( (Believe it is set before installing).

Have never had to deal with this since I use laptops and there this is not possible.

Maria

7. Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right about that. You probably know better than I but I've been trying to figure out if there is any compelling reason for an 'average' user or even a trader in particular to use dynamic volumes. I can't see one yet, as long as you have a sufficiently fast CPU and HDD and enough memory. After all, storage space is no longer an issue.

Anyhow, good luck to the OP in making his partitions.

8. Digs

Digs

Good stuff..keep it coming, THX

9. Digs

Digs

Just spoke to my computer supplier IT dude, and he said there is little difference btw a directory and a new partition for storing data or running process on the same physical drive ?

Is he correct ?

10. Tums

Tums

what happens if your data runs to 9.9GB?
    what would you do?

#10     Oct 27, 2006