C++ concurrent data structure for fast retrieval

Discussion in 'App Development' started by kmiklas, Sep 2, 2020.

1. gaussian

gaussian

I'm beginning to doubt your knowledge of the performance characteristics of software.

#11     Sep 2, 2020
    kmiklas likes this.
  2. Code:
    mov ecx,stringSize
    mov esi,0

Loop1:
    movzx eax,aString[esi]
    push eax              
    inc  esi
    loop Loop1

mov  ecx,stringSize
    mov  esi,0

Loop2:
    pop  eax              
    mov  aString[esi],al    
    inc  esi
    loop Loop2

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    #12     Sep 2, 2020
  3. thecoder

thecoder

How come? You know nothing of me and of my work.
    I can tell you this, from what I have seen of you: you might be a good theoretician and you can articulate very good, but it belongs much more for such a task.

#13     Sep 2, 2020
  4. thecoder

thecoder

Oh, ASM needed in C++ ! :)
    What a BS!

#14     Sep 2, 2020
  5. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

For a problem like this I would start with an existing concurrent map implementation as a baseline, and then when I have as a realistic test as possible optimize it further. Just IMO not worth worrying about beyond algorithmic complexity until you're in the position to test it. Apologies if you are at that stage, though.

Also lol @ derailing with x86 string reversal.

#15     Sep 2, 2020
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Either I'm way out of date coding wise or yep this is BS!!

The Data is too much, need to simplify for 1 thing, scanning millions of records still going to take too long, loaded into ram and to what end, there is no advantage to doing that as the past doesn't represent the future that often.

#16     Sep 2, 2020
  7. thecoder

thecoder

Hey OP, here's your solution: use a 64 core / 128 thread AMD CPU (Threadripper or even Epyc), add at least 64 GB RAM to the machine, plus SSD, and do normal standard multithreading. Problem solved. Next problem, please! :)

#17     Sep 2, 2020
  8. qlai

qlai

Why is this a requirement? Can you have multiple ledgers - one per thread/process? For example, if you have a matching engine, it would be one per symbol.

#18     Sep 2, 2020
  9. thecoder

thecoder

He wants to create, update & modify thousands of orders per second. Ie. looks like HFT.
    For process level access I would use an API via a shared lib (aka DLL), though shared mem is possible too, but IMO not necessary.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    #19     Sep 2, 2020
  10. qlai

qlai

So multiple threads will access/modify same order? Why? What if you run out of threads, how do you scale?

#20     Sep 2, 2020