Bye bye Wall St bonus?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Aug 22, 2007.

1. zdreg

zdreg

nobody said money managers should not be paid for performance.

"let the bonus reflect a five year period of performance which is a reasonable cycle in the market. you will see how quickly the bonus will shrink or disappear. let the bonus be paid only if it exceeds a certain index adjusted for risk

#11     Aug 22, 2007
  2. Agreed (but, I might argue for a three-year term).

#12     Aug 22, 2007
  3. Most are vastly overpaid.

I would love to see how "great" some of them would be without being spoon fed inside information from all the big houses.

#13     Aug 22, 2007
  4. jim c

jim c

It makes sense, but in reality how many people are gonna take the job when you say, "we'll give you a salary, and talk about a bonus in five years" Would you do it? I dont think I would. jim

#14     Aug 22, 2007
  5. zdreg

zdreg

i understand your objections. the terms can be worked out. it is not we will talk about a bonus in 5 years. the terms are set beforehand.

#15     Aug 22, 2007
  6. In my last regular job, the largest portion of executive bonuses was based upon three-year performance.

#16     Aug 22, 2007
  7. If everybody would follow this principle, you would have to choose between 5 years or another job. But you would not find better offers from competitors as they all would use the same 5 years bonus system.

#17     Aug 22, 2007
  8. Bonuses are made on how much money is gatherd during the year. Stating that, it is important to note that there is mony other markets that are traded aside from the stock market.

Derivatives, options, fforex, fixed income, etc, etc. Money can bbe made and lost. So, some will get bigger bonuses then other.

#18     Aug 22, 2007
  9. Let me get this straight if I develop a new strategy that makes my employer reek in record profits and bring new business into the firm for that year I'm not entitled for any performance incentive?? And to top it off I'm now locked in for 5 years before I can see any bonus compensation...

Seriously are you fucking nuts???

#19     Aug 22, 2007
  10. "Entitled" is an interesting choice of words. Regardless, the issue is not whether performance bonuses should be paid (they should be). The debate is about their magnitude and the basis for payout.

#20     Aug 22, 2007