Bye-bye reg T

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by just21, Oct 16, 2006.

1. From what I hear, SPAN on futs will be unaffected.

#41     Oct 18, 2006
  2. newbunch

newbunch

I'm not asking about SPAN on futures. Right now, if I am long the ZN and short TLT, I have to put up SPAN for ZN and 50% margin for TLT. But it's a hedge trade.

A simpler example would be to be long 1 ES and short 500 SPY. They are exactly the same and the margin required should be close to 0.

#42     Oct 18, 2006
  3. As per earlier posts, I believe there are legal and regulatory hurdles to work out between CFTC and SEC for this type of cross-margining to take place. It is allegedly being looked at though.

#43     Oct 18, 2006
  4. Gotcha, sorry. I haven't traded TLTs, but I see it's an SEC product.

#44     Oct 18, 2006

5. That theory is nice
    However price is still price
    Still most wont make it

#45     Oct 18, 2006
  6. newbunch

newbunch

I think this would be the holy grail for retail investors. To be able to hedge ES with SPY or SPX options with low margin. Or even hedge ES with a basket of individual equities with XX% correlation to the S&P.

#46     Oct 18, 2006
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

No way they will allow that. They are not doing these rule changes for hedge funds but more for mom and pop. Mom and pop don't pair trade.

#47     Oct 18, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, that is a cross margin issue. You need to have a cross margined account for that.

#48     Oct 18, 2006
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

That is available now to prop traders who have cross margin accounts. I doubt retail will ever allow that because it requires very active risk management.

#49     Oct 18, 2006
  10. Yes, certain prop will have an advantage there, but it's not a regulatory issue.

Hey Mav! MOM and POP are going PROP! :p

#50     Oct 18, 2006