Buying stocks that were delisted

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gaihosa, Mar 12, 2018.

1. gaihosa

gaihosa

I have a screener that reported a stock that was formally delisted by the NASDAQ. It's EXXI but was formerly FSI.D when it got delisted because it was deficient. I was wondering if anyone has any experience if it's riskier than normal to trade this stock?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. jharmon

jharmon

Probably fine in the short term, but you should ensure that your trading systems don't go long on crap stocks. The previous Energy XXI shares became worthless, but there were in a massive downtrend from late 2013 onwards.

Some lessons can be learned from the airline industry. My delisted stocks database contains the corpses of dozens of airlines, some that have failed multiple times (eg. US Airways) leaving shareholders with nothing each time.

gaihosa likes this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

with patience, perhaps a basket of them might give a terrific return/

gaihosa likes this.
  4. Sig

Sig

Is that even a serious question? Of course it's "riskier than normal"! It got delisted, you're trading OTC, and that's just the trading risk. The stock itself has a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting relisted, but a pretty high chance it will be the victim of a pump and dump. There's an old saying in poker, if you don't know who the sucker is at the table, you're the sucker. It applies here.

JackRab, rb7 and sss12 like this.
  5. sss12

sss12

oh do tell...tell the scenario how a basket of delisted stocks give a terrific return ??? "patience" for what ?

6. zdreg

zdreg

one way is waiting for a reorganization and issuance of stub stock.

7. sss12

sss12

Except for the fact that common stock holders are the low man on the totem pole after debt, AR, etc. it is not going to happen on a profitable basis for the share holder. Co delisted for a reason. Better fish in the sea.