buying some base metal index etf?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by newguy05, Dec 5, 2008.

1. i am thinking about investing part of my ira in base metals, specifically the DBB. The price has been crushed, but i am not too certain if it will continue to go lower.

Looking for some insight on current fundamentals and if now is a good time to get in on the base metal.

thanks

2. does anyone here care about anything other than gold?

guess not...

3. Or lever to it and pick some stocks.. AA, FCX, X etc.

4. but then you are assuming counterparty risk. Isnt it too risky in this environment? Even for giants like aa, can anyone be certain they will still be around a year from now if situation continues to deteriorate.

5. kxvid

kxvid

GLD holds physical.

6. ETFs have counterparty risk too...

If you are that worried, then I recommend you go buy some futures contracts and take delivery some commodity.

But honestly, if you are concerned about counterparty risk, I recommend precious metals, not industrial metals...

7. I have some DBB, along with DBA and DBO. Call it the "Rogers Lite" part of the portfolio. Based on the fairly recent past, there is no reason these can't drop another 30%. Hell, if we're as deflationary as it appears we may be, they may drop a lot more.

But at some point, if you want to hold these things for the long term, there's nothing to do but jump in and hope! Just pick your pain threshold carefully. :)