Buying nice clothes is smart-- says study

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, May 6, 2017.

1. This is so against the typical elite trader / rich dad poor dad nonsense. But very true

5 of the smartest ways to invest your money, according to millionaires and billionaires - CNBC
    https://apple.news/AXzHx6mvPRaSdpS4QidwdWg

When real estate queen Barbara Corcoran rented her first apartment in 1973, she collected a $360 commission check, ran over to Bergdorf Goodman and "blew it on a new coat," she says. "It was the smartest thing I could have done with the money because, in it, I felt powerful."
    Corcoran, who now stars on ABC's "Shark Tank," was onto something. As research shows, when employees wear nicer clothes, they achieve more.

Why Dressing for Success Leads to Success - WSJ - www.wsj.com
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-dressing-for-success-leads-to-success-1456110340

2. You poor materialistic bastard

Chubbly likes this.
  3. I have a pair of boots i bought 12 years ago for like $400 and they are still like brand new.

4. Chubbly

Chubbly

5. Spending on quality can be very smart on many levels. Loro Piana jackets for instance, never go out of style and will last for decades with proper csre-- im not a shoe guy, but same thing with timeless quality.

viruscore1 and fordewind like this.
  6. He is right about multiple streams of income and Automation.

As long as he doesn't become a wealthy hermit miser-- good for him!

I know several guys who started with nothing and built small time real estate empires worth in the $10's of millions bu they live like hermits afraid to spend on themselves. I find this to be the very sad and troubling. Its a definite psychological problem to be rich yet live poor

What ends up happening to these folks is they eventually die and their family fights over the money. Terribly stupid!

surf

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.
  7. themickey

themickey

I've come up through the ranks.
    Blue collar worker, my earlier years living in the bush, long hair, bush clothing (worked in pulp mining/forestry) My apprenticeship though was as a ship worker.
    About 25 years ago managed to get into sales which meant a change in clothing.
    A lot more attention to clothing is required when in business, more washing, ironing and expenses, also grooming, but it needs to be done, anything less and you let yourself and your team down.

8. 100% agreed.I learned that from the very first expensive piece i bought.

marketsurfer likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I bought a pair of $550 Scarpa Mount Blanc Pro GTX boots about 2 years ago for hiking in winter rugged mountain areas...

It now has a torn seam in it :(

A few of the women in the hiking group liked them. ;)

I just happen to live in an area where folks look at what you wear and not what you drive. Women here look at your shoes, jacket, scarf, hat, watch as that first impression. Same with meeting people for business.

Now I'm looking to update my 10 year old watch.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    fordewind likes this.
  10. You have a great variety of real life experiences. I respect that.

surf

#10     May 6, 2017