Buying New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swan Noir, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I'm buying a new computer for my wife who runs a small (but thriving) home based PR business. This is not for trading. I have had good experiences with dell in my trading. Their Inspiron 14Z ($649) spec'd below seems to be a reasonable choice with an upgrade to MS Office Home.

Should I be concerned that the operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium rather than the Pro edition? Anything else I should be concerned about or alternate suggestions? I apologize in advance for bringing a non-trading question in to ET but I respect the hardware opinions here and elsewhere all I get is the sales pitch.

Processor 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz)
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
    Display 14 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with Truelife
    Memory3 6GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Hard Drive 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD +/-R Drive)
    Warranty 1 Year Basic Support
    Weight 4.23 lbs

2. Looks good. Only suggestion would be to check Dell Outlet for the same or better for a good/better price.

All Outlet purchases carry full warranty, same as new....usually 3-years, depending upon model.

3. Thats an excellent pc, no need to look at others.

4. I am a fan of Dell too, and especially their Outlet site.

I would go to their Home Outlet site where you can purchase the XPS-8300 and a state of the art, Intel i7-2600 processor with 12 Gigs of RAM, 460 watt Power Supply, 1 Terabyte SATA-II hard drive, and a 16X DVD +/- RW drive and Windows Home Premium ( or Professional ) with a decent video card that will support two monitors, for $729.

Windows 7 Professional (as does Windows Ultimate) does offer you the opportunity to also use XP on various software applications.

As with all Dell Outlet "refurbished" computers, you get the same Warranty as a brand new unit. You can also purchase additional years of coverage, if you wish.

In my opinion, the XPS-8300 puts the Inspiron that you highlighted above, to shame.

:cool:

5. Mr_You

Mr_You

I suggested a coworker check into Lenovo because I've heard good things and the last coworker I suggested Lenovo to likes theirs a lot.

He said he back-ordered a Lenovo Z570 with i7, 8GB, 15" display for $699. Pretty damn good deal I think.

You don't need Pro unless you need some of the networking features provided by Windows Pro and Windows Server.

In the past I've also been a fan of saving a hundred bucks or more by buying factory refurbished hardware. Most of them are just "buyers regret returns" and they work perfectly fine.

6. Thanks to all for the advice. She'll check the outlet options for a few days and, unless she sees something better or cheaper but as good, she'll buy it.

7. I love Dell for their workstations and high-end (small business) desktops but more recently have looked to Lenovo for laptop/mobile solutions.

I own three Lenovo machines - a netbook, compact laptop and mobile workstation - and I'm very satisfied. They are expensive compared to Dell.

I'm looking forward to Dell's new XPS 13. I have one on order but have not received yet. I think that line (the XPS mobile) will sway me back from Lenovo to Dell.

For a desktop solution I'd grab a cheap Optiplex from the factory outlet and for a mobile solution I'd buy the machine you spec'd in your first post.

As for W7 home premium vs. professional or Office Home/Basic vs. Professional - there is a bit of a difference with the office products but the W7 product is fairly straight forward. With Windows 7 it's a case of "if you have to ask you probably won't ever need it".

8. Winston, why not just build your own from real custom components and cheaper too?

9. This page has highlighted the difference between various Win7 editions. For a home based business, I think the Home Premium is good enough.

Excerpt:
    Windows 7 Home Premium

This is the entry-level edition for most consumers. It has the full Aero interface, Windows Media Center, and a few interesting surprises depending on your hardware.

Windows 7 Professional

After a brief name change (to Business edition) in the Vista era, the preferred upgrade for businesses and enthusiasts returns to its roots, name-wise. The feature set is long and interesting, with the ability to run a Remote Desktop server, encrypt files, make network folders available offline, and join a Windows domain. Oh, and did I mention a licensed virtual copy of Windows XP for those one or two pesky legacy apps?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/from-starter-to-ultimate-whats-really-in-each-windows-7-edition/1031

10. Thanks ... I decided the Home Premium would do it and ordered the laptop. Her requirements are pretty modest and this configuration works without a big budget.

Again ... thanks to all.

#10     Apr 4, 2012