Buying Naked Calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by Bushwacked9, Nov 9, 2019.

1. destriero

destriero

Vol at expiration is zero.

#161     Nov 13, 2019
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Yes I stand to be corrected.

#162     Nov 13, 2019
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Thanks a million.

#163     Nov 13, 2019
  4. destriero

destriero

lol he's talking about OTC, swaps, arbitrage.

I've personally busted OTC dealers in digitals and exotics. I trade thousands of contracts in vanilla equity arbitrage each year. Think boxes. I have traded swaps professionally.

This ravar clown thinks a long call is short vol. Enough said.

#164     Nov 13, 2019
  5. Baozi

Baozi

@destriero can you briefly elaborate on the concept of "edge" ? I think that this is the most abused term ever, and probably every retail trader in his head has a different concept of it. How is edge defined/quantified in the professional space?

#165     Nov 13, 2019
    Flynrider and Bushwacked9 like this.
  6. destriero

destriero

In this context it's the edge loss from trading the deep ITM in lieu of the OTM (equivalent). You're looking at a bear call diagonal at a 14.5 debit (20-wide) but it's deep ITM so you trade the put diagonal (OTM) at a 6 credit.

The NBBO mid may reflect a 0.50 edge loss on the call due to being ITM as flow is always OTM.

#166     Nov 13, 2019
    Flynrider and Option_Attack like this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

That query above caught me by surprise. SPX, SPY etc etc. It all equals the S&P. So ask yourself, what is "not-correlated" with the SP index? Think in futures terms... What is "not correlated" with the ES? Well, many things! As Dest suggested, gold is one, on occasion. But there are a plethora of others.

How about bonds? In normal times, bonds and stocks are inversely correlated. Bonds go up, stocks go down. Bonds go down, stocks go up. A very loose relationship lately, yes.

SPX vs. Yen would be a similar ideal, as the Yen is seen as a safe-haven swap between stocks and currency.

And then there is the loonie. For some reason CL and the loonie are correlated. So maybe there is connection between those two and the SP? Direct? Inverted? I dunno', just look at the charts!

And trade in futures!

Options are insane. Teehee.

#167     Nov 13, 2019
    destriero likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Guys... it's all about periodicity. Having non c0rrelated option POSITIONS in diffent periods.

#168     Nov 13, 2019
  9. Overnight

Overnight

So buy lean hog call 90 days out, and buy palladium put expiry next week.

I am darn sure they are not correlated, and those are different periods. Do I win a cookie?

(Of course I am messing with the thread here, because I enjoy the insanity of this all. It keeps me sane. Mostly.)

#169     Nov 13, 2019
  10. destriero

destriero

Arbitrage!

#170     Nov 13, 2019