Buying Naked Calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by Bushwacked9, Nov 9, 2019.

1. ironchef

ironchef

It is OK, he was right, I deserved it. :p

Can't learn anything new if I have thin skin and keep my mouth shut. :cool:

#141     Nov 13, 2019
  2. ironchef

ironchef

You have a good point about @raVar. He started out on non-correlated trades and talked about periodicity which were excellent topics that I struggled with for a long time. But I am too dumb because I could not understand half of what he was talking about.

As for your second point, some of us who trade directional, have a strong opinion on the direction, vol contraction may be a good thing? Because often when the underlying goes up steadily, like in a bull run, vol contracts. In that situation, convexity is my friend and volatility be damned.

Third, if you trade single leg options on the long side, the best stop may be your premium? Why put stop on stop? So I don't understand BW's problem.

Of course I am just an amateur retail, most of the time the pros here laughed at what I wrote. I am like @raVar, don't make sense to them.

#142     Nov 13, 2019
  3. taowave

taowave

Ravar says things which defy the laws of options and then throws out nice fancy terms as a distraction. Non correlated assets,periodicity,teaching spreads before single legs???

Keep it simple...You bring up trading directionally and vol contraction being a good thing.

What does having a strong opinion on direction and vol contraction tell you??? It's not complicated..Trade with a directional bias,be short vol,and do not let your gamma bite you in the butt...(turn a long into a short)

Great point about options and stops..imho,part of the extrinsic value is the built in stop.But if you trade directionally,you know that there Are many approaches to stops and options. It can be a punt where the option premium is the stop.It could be the stock price triggers the sale of the option.It could be a time stop.Until you run a simulation of your strategy and have some idea of Profit Factor,MAE,MFE etc,it's simply one persons opinion..

Elaborate how convexity is your friend in a Bull market..

#143     Nov 13, 2019
    Flynrider and ironchef like this.
  4. ironchef

ironchef

1. If I am lucky and my directional guess is correct, my gain is nonlinear.

2. Buying option is like buy a ticket for an amusement ride, why get off the ride before it ends? If I am winning and stay till the end, less vol near the end is better?

Please correct me if my rationale is flawed.

Best to you.

#144     Nov 13, 2019
    taowave likes this.
  5. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

#2???? Because the Dynamics change. Always - is this good from here. Do I like it at this moment, here!

#145     Nov 13, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Yes, you are wrong. @destriero was trying to help you except you were too dumb to notice:

#146     Nov 13, 2019
  7. ironchef

ironchef

I know it is stupid, not supported by math or analysis.

I just don't like to "waste" my purchase, after all, I don't buy mechanically, each purchase is precious. :p

#147     Nov 13, 2019
  8. ironchef

ironchef

After thinking about what you said, you are absolutely correct, mine rationale was based on emotion, not logic.

Thank you for the coaching.

#148     Nov 13, 2019
    Wheezooo likes this.
  9. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

Thanks, saved me having to write, "you should never get married to your trades."

#149     Nov 13, 2019
  10. destriero

destriero

"Non correlated" as used by the ravar dude is just silly. SPY and QQQ are correlated. "Periodicity" is not used to denote duration in trading. Go define the term.

I really don't care who wins or loses. It's more a pride of authorship for anyone here who is experienced to not allow complete fantasy to remain unchallenged.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    #150     Nov 13, 2019
    .sigma likes this.