Buying my First Trading Rig - What Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aeliodon, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Most computers nowadays are equipped with a lot more power and memory then you will ever need. Just a few years ago, guys were trading on half as much power and memory.

So, with that said, buy the quietest, smallest HP computer. Usually the fan on most computers makes the most noise. The noise of the fan from your computer will drive you crazy.

I wouldnt worry about CPU or memory. Any new computer will run your trading software with ease.

I have an HP A1383W purchased in 2006. At times, it runs all night long and sometimes I dont turn it off for days. There are 15000 hours on the hard-drive according to the SMART software (625 days of continuous on operation). The hard drive never crashed.

Go with the slimline HP. I just looked at the HP website and you can get a fully optioned out slimline with quadcore processor and 3 GB memory with lots of gadgets for $1300.

Since you might have to stash it under a desk or move it around a bit, then its best to go with the slimline...

#21     Dec 18, 2008
  2. Here are the measurements. Get the slimline. You will thank me when you are trying to position, stash or move the PC. The regular size is this huge box whereas the slimline's size is a lot more tolerable to live with.

Eventually all these computers will become outdated and what you are left with is this huge metal box. Its best to get the smaller metal box as that will save room and be more convenient to move about.

Slimline:
    13.89"(L) x 4.21"(W) x 10.87"(H)

Regular Size:
    16.28"(L) x 6.89"(W) x 15.24"(H)

#22     Dec 18, 2008
  3. #23     Dec 18, 2008
  4. dancalio

dancalio

This is my thinking when it comes to my business/personal computer. The medium range is the price sweetpoint.

And this is also probably true for many traders who do not use terribly intensive trading software.

However, there is plenty of hardcore financial analysis software that works better with the extra juice.

On my new computer I spent an extra $600 from the medium-range knowing that this will pay for itself.

#24     Dec 19, 2008
  5. Any gaming PC will be good for trading, it will have the memory, HD space, and a powerful enough video card to run at least 2 screens. I use a SONY VIAO..it was little over 2k.

#25     Dec 19, 2008