Buying Calls/Puts instead of trading underlying?

Discussion in 'Options' started by daniel_tysen, Nov 18, 2009.

1. I use options for hedging and reducing volatility.

(naked puts to buy stock)
    (covered calls to set sell limits)

None of the puts have been assigned (Due to this rally so far)

But I have had stocks called away. Then I turn around and sell puts to get them at a price I want back.

#11     Nov 18, 2009
  2. MTE

MTE

Actually, the further you go ITM the lower the leverage.

#12     Nov 18, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

If you trade well, stocks are better. If you need time decay to take the edge off your less than ideal timing, options may be better.

#13     Nov 18, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

If you're good at predicting price movement of different markets then widening your stops a bit shouldn't be catastophic.

#14     Nov 18, 2009
  5. erol

erol

ahh true, I should have left the word "leverage" out and left it at delta. But everything else is correct afaik...

#15     Nov 18, 2009
  6. If you are purchasing ATM or OTM options, you will need to re-evaluate your risk-reward as well. ATM options will only participate in a portion of the underlying move, according to their delta (about 50% to start) and this percentage will change higher (as it moves in your favor) or lower (as it moves against you).

I like options as a proxy for the stock for the following reasons:

1) Lower capital outlay (hence, lower exposure for the same share size)
    2) Larger protection against gaps against you.
    3) Can be used to short by purchasing puts (in an IRA, for example).

I don't like the higher spreads or the fact that you can't get the dividend, but you just have to live with higher spreads and if you are a short term trader, I'm guessing dividends take a backseat.

As for brokers, I use TOS for options since I like their user interface (but I have an IB account as well for other stuff)

#16     Nov 18, 2009
  7. If you are so confident on direction, then spread orders should work for you. Both vertical spread and time spread should do. Less to none time decay and good risk/reward ratio.

If I were you, I would choose to close the legs separately.

Try the options lab at http://www.TheOptionsLab.com to
    test strategies before you put them on.

#17     Nov 18, 2009
  8. Spreads are great, but one issue is that you are capping both your risk and your reward.
    If you typically let winners run as far as you can, then at some point you will either have to buy back the short leg of your spread (eating bid/ask & commission) or use wide spreads (in which case your risk increases due to a reduced premium from the short option).
    The upside is that you know exactly what your range of outcomes is, come hell or high water.

If you chose to implement diagonal options (vertical and time spread combined), make sure you familiarize yourself with delta inversion. It's a real kick in the head to be correct on the direction, get a booming move, and not profit like you should (or even lose).

Since you mention rather short term trades, this might not effect you much, but it's something to keep in mind should you extend your trade holding periods.

#18     Nov 18, 2009
  9. I cannot agree more, know when to use options and when to trade undelying is the trick of the trade. I missed many opportunities just because I always thought in an options traders' way.

#19     Nov 18, 2009

10. The spread I trade is usually a speculative play in that I intend to close out the short leg early when the direction goes against me initially. I know ALL options books oppose it, but I think it is OK if you plan to do so *before* you place the trade.

This way, if the direction is right from start, you make money by cosing both legs.

If the direction is wrong initially, you make money by closing short leg with a profit, then wait for the trend to correct itself. If not, it is still better than outright long.

That goes back to the original assumption, which is how confident are you on the direction given timing is a little off.

#20     Nov 18, 2009