Buying an IPO

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Bigmak, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Bigmak

Bigmak

I'm quite interested in this Tim Hortons IPO. I've never purchased a stock right out of the gate before.

How can I grab hold of some shares quickly, and just incase it shoots up like some people are expecting...cheaply?

Will it be tradeable when the market opens that morning? or is there some sort of wait time associated with IPO's.

On the day that it goes public will it trade as a normal stock or are there things I should be aware of?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm blank on this whole IPO thing. Would appreciate any info I can get before I jump into it.

Thanks all

2. I'm quite interested in this Tim Hortons IPO. I've never purchased a stock right out of the gate before.

How can I grab hold of some shares quickly, and just incase it shoots up like some people are expecting...cheaply?
    you cant. you have to buy when and where it opens unless you were issued pre ipo shares.

Will it be tradeable when the market opens that morning? or is there some sort of wait time associated with IPO's.
    they open anytime during the day. no set time.

On the day that it goes public will it trade as a normal stock or are there things I should be aware of?
    once it opens it is a normal stock.

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm blank on this whole IPO thing. Would appreciate any info I can get before I jump into it.

be careful and use limits. its easy to get screwed on ipo opens.

3. Bigmak

Bigmak

Come on...just a lil information...please...just a bit....something!

4. Ebo

Ebo

AVOID trading an IPO on the first day unless you have a good friend giving you color from the trading desk of the lead banker, or have a boatload of capital to risk.

There is nothing glamorous top ticking an oversubscribed IPO, wait til stock comes off lockup or they miss earnings!

5. plugger

plugger

The increase in the offering price by the underwriters should temper any 'pop' that people were expecting.

As for getting an allocation, good luck. It's already placed.

6. Bigmak

Bigmak

I keep seeing all these comparisons of Tim Hortons and Chipotle. When CMG debuted it jumped on the first day...is that correct?

Do you think these comparisons are just?

What's everyones take on how this stock will react over the next few days?

I just wish I had more knowledge about the way that an IPO moves at it's open. I never followed IPO's much.

So in general, it's not likely that a stock will debut, rocket upwards, and just stay there. It may have the initial pop, but eventually it comes right back down, settles into it's range and then goes from there....is that a fair assumption?

7. I don't know if you saw the IPO of BIDU, but that is personally the only IPO I really ever saw on my charts and watched, it was amazing.

I don't think I'll ever be attempting to trade any IPO's though :)

8. Who knows? That's why there is a market.

I can't wait to see where THI opens. My guess is the upper 40's to low 50's.