Buying a new PC - Motherboard ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick1, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubleshooting_a_Computer_Motherboard

What's in a Name?

Most name-brand motherboards, particularly those made by Intel and ASUS, are of very high quality; cheap motherboards, including those used in most consumer-grade mass-market systems, are of very poor quality. We've used Intel and ASUS motherboards for years. In a shipment of 100 motherboards, it's unusual to find even 1 DOA. In a shipment of 100 cheap motherboards, it's not uncommon to find half or more DOA, and many of the remainder failing soon after they're installed.

:wtf:

That could explain why my CPU fan seems to be revving up like a motorcycle...

Which of the Dell or HP lines have name-brand motherboard? The business lines?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I have built my last 8 PC over the last 15 years. I have bought 8 motherboards and 3 were defective and had to be sent back. One Intel and one MSI and one Gigabyte. It happens.

3. Overnight

Overnight

You could save a lot of money by just building your own system, or buying an ASUS machine. Why try to rely on Dell or Intel to produce a machine with "possible"great quality on the inside, and be taking a crap-shoot on it while paying premium prices, rather than just buy a true-sourced machine?

Truth be told, I think ASUS is your number one choice here. If you are looking for best bang-for-buck combined with quality and stability, an ASUS-branded tower should be your best option.

Last time I shopped for a trading PC was 2 years ago, and things may have changed since then, so you may have to ask around for current info. That was my experience over the years however. ASUS never let me down.

4. Maverick1

Maverick1

5. Overnight

Overnight

One caveat here Mav...ASUS as a company is great, but my personal feeling is to stay away from AMD chips (as per your link). I hate hate hate AMD. Stick with an Intel processor. I realize ASUS needs to offer AMD chips for getting a more varied price point, by I am personally biased very strongly against AMD processors.

This here would be a great trading machine, at a reasonable price... https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M32AD/specifications/

6. I'm with you. I'm also very against AMD chips. Had very bad experience with it.

7. CBC

CBC

Asus ROG stuff is the best.

I had that in my old gaming PC because it was the best $$ could buy.

8. Overnight

Overnight

Not needed for trading. Way overpriced for the purpose of a trading PC. If this was a gaming forum, there would be a discussion.

9. CBC

CBC

I was going to start a new thread on this topic. So here were are. Does any1 with hardware / tec backgroud able to tell us whether a server MOBO with cross fired Server CPUs is faster than the traditional setup for trading purposes?

#10     Dec 9, 2016