Buying a new monitor (suggestions please)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. #41     Jan 26, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

MONITORS… I'm not a "widescreen" fan for anything, though I'm not a gamer. The widescreens are cheap, with TN panels. I like UXGA (1600x1200 or 1920x1200) resolution with any panel other than TN. All of mine are IPS... the best deals currently on those (20”) are HP LP2065 and Planar PL2010M/PL2011M. I know Planar is not a heavily advertised brand so it’s not familiar to most. However they make a line of medical monitors and some of that technology and quality works into the rest of their products. Planar is excellent and well priced. I have 2 Planars and one of them is my Primary in a 5-monitor trading rig.... the other 4 are the HP LP2065.

#42     Jan 26, 2008
  3. <p>I am not in the market for a monitor, but I sure appreciate your contributions to this forum. You provided some information that I did not know but I will surely keep in mind when I get around to future monitor purchases.

#43     Jan 26, 2008
  4. Reading through these posts, I think the trashing of TN panels is a little overdone (maybe I should say TN panels are oversold?). True, early TN's are pretty bad but I think new ones have been refined to help overcome some of the limitations. A good TN panel is excellent for trading. It's not like we're trying to do photo reproduction or color matching in a graphics shop.

I really like my Hewlett Packard w2207, a 22-inch widescreen that's native 1680x1050. It has rich deep blacks, a sort of "glossy wet" look that I love. That isn't for everybody and it can be a problem if you have a bright window directly behind you. Otherwise, the color saturation is just eye-popping. Movies are great on this screen. Contrast is very good at 1000:1 (versus 800:1 for the comparable Dell). Charts are a joy to look at.

The other plus for the w2207 (or w2407 if you want 24 in) is that HP provides a high quality sturdy stand and bezel. No cheap plastic here. You can also rotate the display from landscape to portrait mode if you want.

Staples has 'em on sale for $279.

#44     Jan 26, 2008
  5. i'm holding out for 40's and better yet 50's (thinking TWO thin-bezeled 50's side-by-side is better) to replace my Samsung 19's. Progression to ONE (or two) BIG SCREEN for optimal visual (intuitive) trading :cool:

#45     Jan 26, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

Agree that TNs have become better, and I too like the "Brite Screen"... However, I personally would not buy a monitor with less than a 3-year warranty. The "consumer" models from HP now generally have only 1-year.

#46     Jan 26, 2008
  7. swinger

swinger

#47     Jan 26, 2008
  8. gnome, I was over at the Hardforums site reading the thread about the HP LP2065 panel lottery. You've managed to get units which all have the IPS panel in them. Can you tell me if you used the service menu to check the panel type (should be LPL LM201U05-SLA1 or something similar).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1162417

Also, can you tell me exactly how to access the service menu on those units? Reason I ask is that I'm having problems finding a 4th 2005fpw in town here and I am looking around for another IPS panel. I'm looking on a Canadian auction site and I want to tell a seller how to do the check himself before I go over to take a look.

#48     Jan 26, 2008
  9. <p>My newest monitor is over three years old, but all my monitors are NEC with something called "opticlear". It gives that type of look that you are talking about. I was unaware that any other manufacturer was doing anything similar. They seem to be easier on my eyes than other LCD's that I have seen. I have had them so long, I think I would have trouble adjusting to another type of screen.

#49     Jan 26, 2008
  10. I have a pair of Dell 22" FPDs I've been using since September when I bought a new desktop. The 2nd monitor was on sale. They're nice. I'm very pleased with them.

Both are plugged into the video card that came with the new system. It has one DVI port and one VGA port. If I really concentrate I can see a slight difference between the one getting the digital signal and the one getting the analog signal - but for the most part they look the same.

When comparing pricing of monitors check the warranty. These came with a 3 year warranty. Some monitors with comparable specs that appeared cheaper had a one year warranty. When adding extra warranty time, the prices ended up comparable and in some cases the "cheaper" system was higher priced with a comparable warranty. Of course, you may prefer to save a few bucks by only having a one year warranty.

Also, check to see whether the cables you need come with the system. These Dell monitors came with both a digital cable and an analog cable. Some monitors don't include a cable to enable them to have a lower retail price. So when pricing a system check if their are extra's you need to buy.

Do you need/want a speaker(s)? Some monitors have them built-in while others they are an optional extra. If you're using them with an existing system and already have speakers, its a non-issue. I bought the Dell sound bar that attached to the bottom of one of the monitors since the new computer didn't come with a speaker, I didn't care about better sound, and liked not using my desktop space for the speakers from the system I was replacing.

There were 22" monitors for less with lower specs and ones with better specs that cost more. However, between the discount for the monitor that was part of the new desktop system, the sale pricing for the 2nd monitor, the 3 year warranty and the cables, the Dells seemed like the best buy compared to pricing for other 22" FPD's with comparable specs.

Good Luck

#50     Feb 2, 2008