[Buying a NEW laptop] May I use Linux for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jk90029, May 30, 2016.

1. Furthermore, usually I prepare two SSDs for windows+Linux.

#11     May 31, 2016
  2. I expect it's there based on nvidia's driver page:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83686/en-us

It supports

GeForce 900 Series:

GeForce GTX TITAN X, GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 960

GeForce 900M Series (Notebooks):
    GeForce GTX 980M, GeForce GTX 970M, GeForce GTX 965M, GeForce GTX 960M, GeForce GTX 950M, GeForce 940M, GeForce 930M, GeForce 920M

and can be installed on 2014 versions of Ubuntu and Mint.

#12     May 31, 2016

3. Appreciated so much. I did NOT know it.

#13     May 31, 2016
  4. Simples

Simples

Graphic drivers is one of the few drivers you should expect you want to install. Usually, popular Linux distros supports everything out of the box. But for special needs and latest drivers, you would want the latest and greatest. Nvidia supports Linux with proprietary drivers, unless this has changed and they've open sourced something.

There's only silly things like winmodems (require proprietary windows drivers) and very locked-in proprietary hardware that either haven't been reversed engineered for Linux or not supported on Linux. So trying different distros might give better support out of the box, or searching for the drivers and how to install for your distros, usually resolve any problems.

Printer-drivers is another type of driver that you might need to install yourself or coax Linux to accept.

Since late 90's Linux has supported most hardware, and nowadays often supports older hardware better than any other OS.

#14     Jun 1, 2016
    Occam likes this.
  5. Simples

Simples

You might want to check out the info in this article.

Especially easy is to try a live CD/distro, but you need to be able to return the product if you consider purchasing.

#15     Jun 1, 2016
  6. VPhantom

VPhantom

I did and intend to do so again. You just have to make sure to use Oracle's Java VM and not the open-source variant (i.e. the one that would come with Debian). Version after version, sadly I had display issues (login window outside of the monitor, 4000 pixels tall) and crippling memory leaks when pairing TWS with the non-Oracle VM. It's been rock solid (even charting) with Oracle.

I attempted to run SierraChart in WINE for a while, but there were always weird bugs that were very difficult to iron out, so I finally caved and I'm running it in an XP VM in VirtualBox. (I also have a Win7 VM, but it's unimpressive for my needs.)

With Linux and laptops, to make sure you're not buying a problem you need to figure out the motherboard's chipset, the graphics card's chipset, the network card's chipset, etc. and look up each of them individually for support. Laptops less than 6 months old may not have stable support built into the kernel for some peripherals, so it's better to be safe than sorry. (I speak from experience...)

If you need a turnkey solution for peace of mind, some manufacturers do offer Ubuntu outright these days, alas only on their higher-end models. (Because they lose some kick back from Microsoft, or something? I wonder.) Dell's XPS series for example, if you choose "Business" and not "Home", will have 1-2 factory Ubuntu models.

#16     Jun 9, 2016
  7. The ThinkOrSwim platform flat out refuses to run on a non-Oracle JVM. IB may or may not run on non-Oracle but Oracle has made it very easy to install on Linux. It used to be a religious experience.

#17     Jun 9, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  8. Handle123

Handle123

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

#19     Jan 10, 2017
  10. Karin42

Karin42

If you really know the software of the brokers which will work there why not ? I assume a lot of laptops can really run the Linux here anyway. What do you mean by derivers issue here anyway ? Just buy laptop and install Linux, many Linux OS now support everything.

#20     Jun 18, 2019