Buying a new home

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Ok, I am in Northern CA driving to look at a lot that cost 10k. I know pretty cheap but it was a shitty lot in the middle of nowhere. Anyway..im on the freeway and i see a housing development and i decide to see what they were asking. They wanted 375k for a 1400 sq ft home. I said no, i dont believe in paying that much for such a small home. I still believe homes should be affordable for the average person but thats just me. So she asked me how much I would like to pay. I said no more than 200k and she said "we can do that" My jaw about hit the ground. I was in there for less than 3 minutes and she knocked 175k off the asking price. This tells me that the builders are thinking the housing market is going to get hit alot harder than everyone thinks.

2. Wow, I knew the crock pot was reaching a boiling point here in the SF bay area, but I didn't know it was THAT extreme. What area of NorCal are you talking about? Out here in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, a lot of sellers are stubbornly holding out and don't wanna budge on the price. So far I've made a bunch of low-ball offers at about 60% of asking price in this area, and not a one is desperate enough to meet my offer. Homebuilders might be a different case....

RoughTrader

3. it's one thing for them to say they'll knock 175k off, it's another to get the house w/ that 175k off. They probably have some tricks up their sleeve.

4. run....and you better look at the comp's if you don't...

or...

come back when they have the auction....

5. Arnie

Arnie

Or it could be the builder just needs some cash.....like right now. That deal may not be around in a month.

6. Considering all the variables and then looking at the market..
    I would simply say that waiting could even be better in that case...

Lots of opportunities on the horizon...This is capitalism...I love America.

There is no hurry in my opinion...