buying a computer for day trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tradesoftware, Sep 7, 2010.

1. That's right but I just want a computer that satisfy my trading

#11     Sep 8, 2010
  2. mokwit

mokwit

Quick Thread hijack: :D

What is use / the benefit of having two ethernet ports on a board? and thus by definition why is a board with only one at a disadvantage according to PC Mag reviews?

#12     Sep 8, 2010
  3. A moot point. If you want an additional NIC port, you can add one with a PCI/PCIE board.

#13     Sep 9, 2010
  4. deaddog

deaddog

Am I going to notice the difference in speed between a T4500 and the i7?

Right now my computers are ancient. (P4 and older with 1 Gig RAM or less) I am still able to run multiple monitors with realtime charts, T&S, Trading software(IB TWS).

My data seems to be real time and my orders are filled instantly with little or no slippage. What do I gain by spending the extra dollars on a newer faster processor. Would the extra dollars be better spent on RAM?

#14     Sep 9, 2010
  5. Neither. The trading environment normally taxes the system very little. WinXP runs at near 100% efficiency on 1GB of RAM. If your present system is running properly and not lagging, more powerful hardware will have little impact.

A new W7 system running on an X58 mobo will generally be on the order of 5-10X faster all around. In the trading environment, however, after booting nearly everything runs mostly from RAM... so the hardware potential of a new rig is generally not used much. Thus, little improvement (if any) will be noticed during trading.

#15     Sep 9, 2010
  6. Everyone's situation is a bit different. I think the best is you monitor your own CPU and memory usage.

Start the task manager and go to the "Performance" tab. You will see something like this: (Your P4 will not show 8 windows on the CPU usage, only 1). During the heaviest moment of your day, does the CPU usage constantly stay above 60-70%? If so, it may worth considering to get a faster chip.

Also on the Physical Memory area: Do you see any "free" number? If the number is low all the time, it may worth getting more RAM. But note that you are probably running XP. If so, the limit is 4GB.

[​IMG]

#16     Sep 9, 2010
  7. umm
    just bought a server for $110
    dualxeon3.0 , 6 gig of ram, 120 gig hd , fully loaded

u people are wasting money

#17     Sep 9, 2010
  8. How many and what kind of slots for video cards and peripherals?

Did you mean "dualcore" Xeon or "dual Xeon CPUs"?

#18     Sep 9, 2010
  9. mokwit

mokwit

Understand, but still do not understand what I could do with two ethernets - what does this allow me to do that i can't do with one (other than one being spare if one fails) Is there some technology or something I can employ with 2 ethernet ports.?

#19     Sep 9, 2010
  10. he doesn't mention to the Video card slots so I think he use one monitor

#20     Sep 9, 2010