Buy to cover question

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by CasperCRF, Oct 19, 2005.

1. So you can see that my fill was way higher then anything else at the time. if you added up the next 8 trades at 8.79-8.80, it was enough to fill my order. So is that just normal for this to happen?

#11     Oct 19, 2005
  2. I'd say your were pretty screwed on that one. Who is your broker? Give them a call, maybe you can get some free trades or something if you bitch enough...

#12     Oct 19, 2005
  3. Babak

Babak

That looks pretty FUBAR. I also suspected that you were hosed on a listed stock! How did you route the order? It shows as PSE (Philly right?). Please keep us up to date on how this ends.

#13     Oct 19, 2005
  4. Casper, it DOES sound like you got a bad fill. The market's not gonna move that much on NITE before and after your order. It probably got routed to CHX..they are horrible at market orders.

Call your broker and ask them for the exact second your order was sent to the market center and ask for a National Best Bid/Ask at that time. You're due at least some of that. Maybe you'll only get 100 shares or whatever the size was on the NBBO, but if you tell them you want the Best Ask at the time your order went in, they can go back to the MM the order was routed to and fight for you.

Send me the time and who the order was routed to and I'll post the time and sales.

If the slippage isn't that much (which most brokers use to comply with Best Ex) they won't ask for a better price automatically. Our firm monitors these slippage amounts and files complaints with the market centers the next day, so don't think it's too late to ask for a price correction.

#14     Oct 20, 2005
  5. Yeah, you definitely got a bad fill. Here's the Time and Sales from 10/19 at 9:37:27 when your order filled. There was 4000 shares offered @ 8.80:

#15     Oct 21, 2005
  6. =======================

That bad print doesnt show up on my charts either;
    like your charts & that last elite time/sales poster shows,
    think you should wait until reg market hours are over &
    firmly/politely insist on a credit for comissions or a credit from broker. Hope you broker has toll free phone

And while market orders can rook you, especially in nas
    or stocks you dont know well, would politely insist on a credit
    or comission credit.:cool:
    May also ask for a written copy of your brokers time/sales;
    looks like it may agree with us????, not YHOO charts.

And you did sell at a pretty good time/30 minute downtrend,
    however exspect more
    wild uptrend prints now, cause since you covered Caspar,
    NITE closed above 200 dma,
    NITE closed up persistantly much more now on above average buy volume,
    NITE big gap up held ,a sign of uptrend strength.

NYSE listed big newspapers are downtrending much better

Let us know what kind of credit they give you;
    all our data/charts points to that being a false bad print they gave .

Wisdom is the principal thing.:cool:

#16     Oct 22, 2005
  7. alanm

alanm

Whenever you find something like this happening, talk to your broker ASAP. Do not email, do not wait until after market hours, the next day, etc. Your best shot at getting an adjustment is within minutes after the trade.

Is this a direct-access broker? If so, did you route the trade yourself, and to which destination? If you have no control over the routing, then you have a decent argument. I'm guessing it went to an ECN that wasn't at the inside market, either through your actions or your broker's.

#17     Oct 24, 2005
  8. The broker was Alliance and I got in touch with them right after the trade happened via a live chat online. They told me to email support with the details of the trade. I emailed them twice and didn't hear anything for 6 days. I went to the live chat again and they told me to forward the emails to another address. I finally hear back from them and this is what they say.

"I have looked into the issue. Unfortunately, as the trade was a market trade, there is nothing we could do. Additionally, those trades have already settled, so there is nothing that can be done at this time."

I wrote them back saying that if they looked at this when I sent it to them the day it happened that they might have been able to help me out here. I asked for some compensation as far as the commission goes, so maybe I'll get something out of it. My other problem is that since I have less then 25k, Alliance is the only game in town and I can't say that I could take my business to another broker....

#18     Oct 25, 2005
  9. Looks like a hosing to me. This would not happen to an experienced trader.

Once you realized that there was enough size in the open market to handle your order, you were obligated to demand an adjustment immediately, no questions asked.

I will assume you did not direct route to an ecn.

If some order flow was sold and you were ripped off, you should be compensated.

#19     Oct 27, 2005