Buy QQQQ puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by tonyzhou, Feb 13, 2007.

1. The books I mentioned will help you understand options and synthetics and thus enable you to work out your own strategies to protect and manage your positions. From the things you guys have written so far you don't seem to have a good grasp of how options actually work and how they can be used most effectively or what strategy to choose to hedge your underlying.
    As an example, Cottle talks about using a 'slingshot' to protect your long stock and still retain potential unlimited gain to the upside. But as I said, one needs a good understanding of options to implement those type of strategies.
    Good luck
    db

#21     Apr 13, 2007
  2. vetten

vetten

you`re a good daddy, daddy

thanks

#22     Apr 13, 2007
  3. Negative time value on index options?
    Won't expire worthless if you BUY it ITM?

Do yourself a favor, learn how options work before you trade them, because right now you're going to set yourself up for a huge disaster if you try to play with options.

Unless you're buying options so deep ITM that the delta is 1, there's always some time value, and there's no negative time value on options for anything that's arbitragable (VIX options are the only ones I know about that can possibly have negative theta).

And no matter how deep ITM the options are that you buy, there's always a chance they expire worthless.

#23     Apr 13, 2007
  4. vetten

vetten

It wouldnt matter demo, cos he got his portfolio at the other end
    and that one would be up huge.:cool:

#24     Apr 13, 2007
  5. Off topic, but Deep ITM european options have a "negative" theta. Look at all the Index options that are european. NDX, RUT, XEO, STOXX, ect.

Oh, and on topic... You are creating a somewhat synthetic call because the underlying portfolio you are hedging is not perfectly correlated with the option. So, in theory, you can make more money than the call if you outperform the QQQQs, but you will lose if you underperform. You will also lose the time value associated with the put, so good luck!

#25     Apr 14, 2007
  6. hmmm, well fun, the only reason i can think of that would make that the case, is if the option is so deep ITM (like 100% ITM), that it'd actually be discounted because the writer gets to collect interest on the premium.

#26     Apr 14, 2007
  7. MTE

MTE

Deep ITM European-style puts trade under parity cause of the way the option pricing works. In other words, it's because of the inability to exercise them early.

#27     Apr 14, 2007
  8. vetten

vetten

hi guys,

so I got to protect my trading capital year in year out and I want to spend as little as possible on this insurance and I dont mind
    if the insurance vehicle is worthless in the end.

So I have $ 1,000,000 trading capital to insure from a sudden collapse on a black Monday

I`m not asking for a perfect answer, because I realise the insurance vehicle is difficult or impossible to value in the future.

so cover $ 1,000,000
    spend as little as possible as a percentage of $ 1,000,000

how would you guys do it RIGHT NOW!!!!

#28     Apr 14, 2007
  9. jj90

jj90

vetten, we've already given you your choices. No one here is about to hold your hand for you so pick a choice or do more research and come out with your own solution.

So far you have 4 main choices :

1)Buy puts.

2)Take the hit.

3)Ratio weight with QID or DXD or futures etc against your beta.

4)Use some type of stop loss X amount out.

Please stop asking the same repetitive question.

#29     Apr 14, 2007
  10. vetten

vetten

thanks for your opinion jj,

I think there`s nothing wrong with asking questions, certainly not when somebody is experienced in other areas and not in options.
    And options are not that easy to master is it?
    And I only would like them for protection.

I thought options are the way to go but
    you guys were going on about ITM/OTM options, European style
    etc etc., so that`s why to go back to the subject at hand is not that bad is it?

sorry if I stepped over the line jj:cool:

#30     Apr 14, 2007