Buy or Sell?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by OXTrader, Jul 3, 2006.

1. OXTrader

OXTrader

Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question, but

where can I find how many share are baught or sold on any given stock on any given day? I see overall volume but I would like to know the volume breakdown.

Can anyone assist or does this info just not exist to the general public?

Thanks
    Happy July 4!!

2. Shares are exchanged, there has to be a buyer and a seller to make an exchange...

Read books on trading before you trade, it will give you a chance to be successful, lol

BTW, Overall volume is total shares exchanged, I don't know where you get this bought & sold stuff from, newbishness is on the attack.

How long have you traded? Because it's time to read up on the very true basics of a market exchange.

But for the heck of it:

Take the total volume of whatever stock you are looking at, and divide it by 2. You now know the number of shares bought, and the number of shares sold. :D

3. OXTrader

OXTrader

WOW

HAHAHAH one should not post here during holiday weekend while indulging in adult beverages.

That was just stupid! I laugh at myself!

I am going outside.

4. Hey, at least you haven't blown several hundred-thousands like a few others on ET claim to do so, just make sure you don't have it happen to you.

I'd suggest reading The Stock Market Course by Fontanills Gentile, I read it several times to learn a lot about the markets that I didn't know. It could help to know how orders are taken, how transactions are handled, and all that.

I have seen crazier questions, at least yours has an answer!

5. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

This is not true. It is only true if the stock closes at the same price it opened. For a stock to go up, you need more buyers than sellers. If there were equal buyers and sellers the stock would never move.

6. If the volume is 10,000 shares, then 10,000 shares were bought AND 10,000 shares were sold. This constitutes an EXCHANGE of 10,000 shares. I don't see where the factor of 2 fits in.

It's not the number of buyers or sellers that matters. Each share or contract traded has a single buyer and seller. It's how motivated and aggressive each are that determines the direction of any price movement.

If a buyer or group of buyers choose to aggressively grab what's offered, then the price will naturally climb. Similarly, if a seller or group of sellers choose to aggressively hit the bids, then the price will naturally fall. For each transaction, there's still only one buyer and one seller. Mind you, if 50 sellers are all eyeing the same bid, then look out below!

This "more buyers than sellers" statement makes me smile every time I hear it. It's an over simplification that seems to confuse people.

Archie

7. pattersb

pattersb Guest

it be might accurate to say, (at least roughly)

1. shares are sold at the bid
    2. shares are bought at the ask

markets that are selling-off are doing so at the bid

8. Are you kidding? You can't have more buyers then sellers in the market. Somebody has to sell to anyone that wants to buy.

9. hajimow

hajimow

No he was right. The number of shares bought is equal to the number of shares sold but if the trade is done at the bid price, that trasanction is called SELL and if that is done at the ask price, it is called a BUY. Some charts show the SELL transactions with a red arrow and BUY transactions with a BLUE arrow. It is also possible if the selling pressure is high and the price is going up. If they bid up and all the trades are done at the bid, you will have selling pressure with up trend.

10. hajimow

hajimow

#10     Jul 3, 2006