Buy and Hold Work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MingWu, Feb 14, 2007.

1. S2007S

S2007S

buy QQQQ, SPY and DIA, YOU CANT LOSE.

#11     Feb 15, 2007
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Typically, we enslave our youth, and immigrants, for this purpose.

#12     Feb 15, 2007
  3. buylo

buylo

Buy and hold = buying a stock, future, option and holding it.

Did I just explain this?

PS -- Where o' where is traderich??? How is his mutual fund coming i wonder?

#13     Feb 15, 2007
  4. Buy and hold the indexes and you will beat 99% of the so called "traders" on this site :D as well as 95%+ percent of all money managers over the long haul.

#14     Feb 15, 2007
  5. buy and hold works with stock indexes. if you bot DIA before 9/11 and held, u'd be up.

#15     Feb 15, 2007
  6. dac8555

dac8555

buy and hold ISNT trading.

Buy and hold is fine..if you really can hold the right things, and keep adding to it month after month.

the best think i could say for buy and hold would be...

BRK.B...birkshire hathaway. basically one of the the most successful hedge funds of all time. over the past 30 years has averaged 21% per year. there is no annual cost and no bonus to the fund manager.

i SOMETIMES buy it...it cycles like anything else.

when you are 5 years into a bull cycle...it is not the best time to start investing...best wait for the inevitable correction and start averiging in when it is down...not up.

#16     Feb 15, 2007
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

this is not very good advice....you can always lose...

#17     Feb 15, 2007
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

now this is something he can sink his teeth into

#18     Feb 15, 2007
  9. #19     Feb 15, 2007
  10. I think by and large buy and hold does work but it's not as easy as that- we have recently come out of an agonizing period for buy and hold investors-- about 6 years of going nowhere. I have money frozen in trust in big cap stuff it just stopped going up. In fact I went on to sell many of these same type stocks.. 3M, Pfizer, JNJ,
    in many accounts at the very apex of this despair. So it was a giant correction of sorts of a mindset -what had been steady progress and it shook buy and holder true beliefs down to the core. It shook some fools like me out too.

#20     Feb 15, 2007