Buy 30 year treasuries

Discussion in 'Trading' started by RiceRocket, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Not only a great call but great timing!

#41     Jan 5, 2009
  2. #42     Jan 6, 2009
  3. S2007S

S2007S

sold off my TBT early yesterday at $40.50.

Will wait to get back in under $36.00.

#43     Jan 6, 2009
  4. up to now they did not more than just verbal interventions. Check the FED balance sheet, the holdings of long term Bonds is neglegible. Markets was moved by words rather than facts.
    http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/Current/h41.pdf

Problem is that sooner or later they will have to demonstrate if they are more than just a teethless tiger. The firepower they need to move this market is to much for them (my guess).
    The balance sheet already looks ridiculous with all those trash they loaded. If they blow it up even more market will loose confidence.

Its like with interventions on currency market. Its very dangerous because once the market recognice they fail game is over.

#44     Jan 6, 2009
  5. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

Money managers by fund rules must have a percentage of portfolio in cash equivalent investments. t-bills are cash

30 year treasuries are very liquid.

QUOTE]Quote from short&naked:

Lock myself into 30 year treasuries when interest rates are at an all time low? Are you high? [/QUOTE]

#45     Jan 6, 2009
  6. I added to my position in the etf tlt at 112 today. Trading assumes you will take drawdowns during the initial entry, but as always, trade around a core position. In this situation, with the federal reserve and world central banks in on it, you can be relatively sanguine in any drawdown. In this trade I will take profits earlier than my futures trade. I will post when I close it.

#46     Jan 6, 2009
  7. I closed TLT at 113.96 today. I'm still holding ZBH9 and am in the money.

#47     Jan 12, 2009
  8. dont

dont

I am a non US citizen is there a withholding tax on the coupon paid on US treasuries?

#48     Jan 15, 2009
  9. dhpar

dhpar

not sure. but guess there is. there is definitely a withholding tax on stock dividends....

but don't worry dont - coupons on on-the-runs are close to zero anyway :D

#49     Jan 15, 2009
  10. dont

dont

#50     Jan 15, 2009