Buttontrader

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by markc, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Interesting questions. I am using NinjaTrader and I am guessing
    it gets the same data as BT would, which is data from IB every
    0.7 seconds. I would think the SuperDom as it is called in NT
    would have different market depth figures if the data was tick by
    tick instead of data that comes in every 0.7 seconds. But as you
    know using these API's you get what IB gives you. Which is not
    true tick by tick data. Perhaps if the data were tick by tick it would
    change so quick you couldn't read the numbers... :p

#31     Dec 24, 2003
  2. Wolf

Wolf

Can I do a quick poll to find out "what" technical analysis software you guys are using along with ButtonTrader (BT)? I like BT's interface for Buying and Selling. However it's useless for determining when to place Buy or Sell. So obviously, unless you are clairvoyant, you are all using technical analysis in conjunction with BT.

So the poll is: "What software package(s) and Data Feed(s) are you using to support the use of ButtonTrader?"

Thanks

#32     Mar 5, 2004
  3. Look in the software section. The software with the greatest number of reviews are those generally used.

#33     Mar 5, 2004
  4. I believe you can only use ButtonTrader with Interactive Brokers
    feed so if you want ButtonTrader to match your charts you could
    use SierraCharts, QuoteTracker, TahoeCharts (which is just starting
    out) and I believe EnsignSoftware. There are probably more than
    this but I cannot remember them at the moment...

#34     Mar 6, 2004
  5. Wolf

Wolf

This is what I'm trying to document in my FAQ. If you want ButtonTrader to match your charts you NEED TO USE: SierraCharts, QuoteTracker, TahoeCharts (and I believe) EnsignSoftware. This is because they all use the same Interactive Brokers data feed.

On the other hand you don't care if the charts match if you have a better/different data stream. Then any tick data in ButtonTrader becomes noise. This becomes the basis for using an integrated platform.

After reviewing ButtonTrader I'd suggest they completely lose the data tracking because it is only noise. You have to use a separate T/A package anyway. A ButtonTrader API would be great because I love the trade management interface. I'd like to integrate ButtonTrader and manage it from my DotNet app rather than use the "fingers and eyeballs" approach.

Note: I'm up to 40 different trading platforms and 3 different API's in my FAQ. The most heavily used is IB's API. It would be great if anyone could Post or IM me any of current platforms that used IB and any add-on platform relationships. Next up: WealthLab...

#35     Mar 6, 2004
  6. When they hook up to Jtrader you can compare...it is hard to see the difference by eye...but in a fast moving market, perhaps it makes a difference to a true scalper(1-3 ticks), but what do I know? Reading about the order book maniplation ....they are one step ahead of the retail trader...

Michael B.

P.S. to be retail and to truly scalp, would require actually to fade what you see...how else could you compete, without anticipating?...

#36     Mar 6, 2004