... but is it doable in reality ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by janbillian, Jun 6, 2020.

1. It IS right, easy to calculate with various free calculators online. Start with zero starting capital, annual "interest rate" 10%, then type in the monthly amount and play with the years. Yearly compounding, not monthly !

Peter Lynch was of course completely correct on the math portion.

In addition, 20 years can be too short for the S&P 500 as it has long stretches of sideways action.

Over 40 years however, you'll catch a big upswing in the US stock market for sure.

1964 - 1981, awful period for US Stocks in aggregate.

1982 - 1999, fantastic period.

#301     May 11, 2023
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. %%
    I noticed that also.
    Average American seems to be more dumb than average German\
    Notice how many on USa news scream ''JUSTICE'' :D:DLOL Much better=say it polite mercy or thank you in German:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:,:caution::caution::caution:
    Investors get it by buying every month for 40 years;
    traders may have to do a bit different for52 weeks or55+/years.
    One lady asked ''is that 56 years?'' NO that means 55 more or less years:D:D
    Although its easy to forget, a stock share is NOT a lottery,LOL its part ownership of a business=Peter lynch!!!!!!,!!!!!!!

#302     May 11, 2023
  3. For anyone reading this and having a newborn, if you save a hundred bucks a month for your child from birth on, and explain to him / her the benefits of continuing to do so when they are young adults, they have quite some money when 40 years old. Of course, no one knows what taxation on capital gains will apply in 2063.

But having 500k US$ before taxes when 40 years old, especially if you work a low-wage job like cashier at Wal-Mart, is some serious money.

100 US$ a month should be doable, every smart mother / father should imho save into an index fund on the S&P 500. Or, as an alternative, even cheaper, the Total Market Index ETF offered by Fidelity, symbol FSKAX.

Annual expense ratio is 0.015% ! It doesn't get cheaper than this. https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/315911693

#303     May 11, 2023
  4. %%
    HARD to beat that/
    almost any time frame.
    SPY net annual expence =00.0945%
    Most of my ETFs are closer to 00.10 or 1.000%, annual:D:D
    I dont need no rockin' chair/
    Geritol\
    or your Medicare\
    may take a little longer\ but i'll get there-- vocals= Patty Loveless, piano= Pig Robbins,Song I Dont Need No Rockin' Chair ,gold album G Jones >10,777,777 video views

#304     May 11, 2023
  5. ph1l

ph1l

#305     May 11, 2023
    murray t turtle and janbillian like this.
  6. Back on Altria (ISIN : US02209S1033), this was published in 2018 on motleyfool.

Excerpt from the article, "In general, increased scrutiny and declining smoking rates actually help the industry's strongest players, chief among them Altria. That's because competitors have a harder time breaking through Altria's brand strength and are disincentivized to enter the market because of regulatory hurdles."

@ph1l : "If you invested just $1,000 in Altria 30 years ago, and reinvested dividends along the way, your account would now have $3.64 million today." (1988 - 2018)

That's an unusual take on this market, I of course hope the author is right in his estimate.

Source / URL : https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/11/how-safe-is-altria-group-inc-mo-and-its-dividend.aspx

#306     May 13, 2023
  7. ph1l

ph1l

Here's an "Argus Analyst Report" I found for Altria.

#307     May 13, 2023
    janbillian likes this.
  8. %%
    I DONT smoke anymore/but excellent trend;
    any single stock can be super reward\super risk.
    Like QQQ,FNGU, so may want to do some SPY+ or your trends like your post303

#308     May 15, 2023
  9. I hope every reader of this thread will keep his eyes on Omaha's sages. When they purchase BIG in a single's companys stock, chances are this single investment may outperform the market.

The great thing, Buffett sometimes very clearly articulates his outlook for the market or a single company's estimated future.

It does not happen often, but when it does happen, it can be profitable to listen and act. From 2018 :
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/war...pple-than-anything-else-in-the-last-year.html

#309     May 25, 2023
  10. %%
    NOT a play on words LOL, but double check all info:D:D
    THEY sold all WFC by 2022. Thanks[5-26-23].

#310     May 26, 2023