Busted Trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Htrader, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Just a note on my last reply. Usually the trader who makes the
    error reports the trade to his introducing Broker and the introducing brokers clearing firm submits a request to ISLD to break the trade. ISLAND decides if the trade will be broken. If
    the BID-ASK spread on stock XYZ is 5-5.25 and I have an order
    above the market at 8 and I get filled, I would not cover my short
    since this trade will probably be broken. If I don't hear from
    ISLAND within an hour, the trade will probably stand. This policy
    is not to be abused and I think the ISLD ECN's policy is fair.See
    ISLD Clearly Erroneous Policy at:

http://www.island.com/subscriber/attachment_a.htm

"RULES APPLICABLE TO ALL CLEARLY ERRONEOUS REQUESTS

Only the disadvantaged party (as determined by Island), based on the market at the time the questioned trade was executed, may request that a trade be broken pursuant to the Island Clearly Erroneous Policy. Each request will be considered on a case by case basis. Once a request is filed, it cannot be withdrawn without the consent of both parties. "

Stock Exchanges and other ECN's policies for erroneous trades
    may be different. As I have said before, check your orders before
    you send them. REDI+ and other EDAT software have a built in
    price check to prevent entering erroneous trades.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., L.L.C.
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#11     Oct 13, 2001
  2. js1257

js1257

Honda why didn't you try to sell the calls after you knew the trade was busted. How far out of the bid/ask was it?

#12     Oct 14, 2001
  3. Honda

Honda

I sold the calls immediately after they broke the trade. Ended up breaking even minus commissions. I was pissed because I had a nice profit. They told me there was nothing I could do about it. If I remember correctly it may have occurred approx. .25 cents or less outside the best ask.

#13     Oct 14, 2001
  4. mjt

mjt

I've had several trades busted. I had one recently where I clicked on something completely by accident, and ended up shorting a $17 stock at $15. I contacted the broker (IB) and requested that the trade be busted, but the counter party wasn't obligated to comply because the price ($15) wasn't within 20% of the prevailing market. The counter party had the option of having the trade busted, or they could have agreed to a price that I set. (I could have said let's split the difference at $16, and it would have been up to them whether to accept this.)

So if what IB tells me is correct, erroneous trades are automatically busted if 20% outside of prevailing market prices, and if not you're at the mercy of whoever is on the other side of the trade.

#14     Oct 14, 2001
  5. js1257

js1257

Honda were you trying to sell on the ask?

#15     Oct 14, 2001
  6. Honda

Honda

I had a limit order to sell as soon as I had a confirmation that I bought 5 calls. The price of the calls moved up, my sell price was hit & I then received confirmation that my calls were sold. A few minutes later my broker calls me and tells me the trade is broken

#16     Oct 14, 2001
  7. js1257

js1257

Honda
    Something doesn't sound right with what happened to your trade.
    I don't see how they could bust your trade when you had a limit order and it was hit. What exchange?

#17     Oct 14, 2001
  8. Honda

Honda

Don't remember, it was over 1 year ago. I questioned my broker & he reiterated there was nothing I could do about it!

#18     Oct 14, 2001
  9. js1257

js1257

Honda
    That sux. Did you change brokers? Who was the broker?

#19     Oct 14, 2001
  10. Honda

Honda

No I didn't change. I've heard worse things happening with other brokers. This has only occurred once. I have been trading with Brown & Co. for alittle over 2 years.

#20     Oct 14, 2001