Businessweek seminars worth it? Help please!!!

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by grayhorse, Oct 31, 2002.

1. grayhorse

grayhorse

I attended a free 90 minute seminar (sales pitch) to attend a two day Businessweek Investor Workshop. They're looking for $4,000 to attend and get 6 months access to their website afterwhich they will charge $50/mo. Has anyone attended the workshop? Is it worth it? I'm fairly new to stock investing and would like to start short term trading.

All input welcome, also any other seminar recommendations please.
    Thanks,
    Gray

:confused:

2. I have not attended the BW seminar but am a subscriber to the magazine. I also just found the seminar online you are talking about.

The magazine is geared toward fundamental analysis type investing (when they talk about investing), as is the seminar. Short term trading, for the most part, does not use these approaches. I would not spend that kind of money on this unless you are looking for ways to manage your long term investments.

For short-term trading training, read the archives on this site, go to your local Borders and buy some recommended books (read Amazon and this site for reviews), and start from there.

Hope this helps,

Rich

3. trdrmac

trdrmac

NO NO NO NO NO AND NO!!

There is a ton of new and FREE information on the web.

For $4000 you could buy an library of books and get far more information on the market.

But, if you don't belive me, and this is just a guess on my part. Go to the last 8 copies of BW and flip to the back, that crappy stock section that they have, and write down all of the picks/pans.

And then compare those to what the market did in the same period of time. Bet the market did better.

And oh, I know that this is a SPECIAL service, they all are in this business.

4. It's only worth 4 G's if they are going to email attendies the inside wallstreet columns a day in advance so you can front run every one else.

:D

For 4 G's you could attend Both Bright and Echo's seminars, and meet some real traders....all your gonna meet there is writers, fundmanagers that are mainly interested in gathering assets and well, hell you might meet a couple of traders.

4 grand buys a hell of a lot of books though.

5. it simply NEVER ceases to amaze me at how plain DUMB some people can be.

no, F$@K NO, it's not gonna be worth it!

$4K a pop? people are actually willing to pay this? shit, maybe i should be getting in on the seminar circuit... there's no doubt i could come up with something infinitely more useful than the standard crap i imagine gets served up...

try this buddy:
    there's about 5 books worth reading out there (and anything more is just useless repetition).. so buy those.. that should leave you with at least $3500...

use the books to come up with some simple ideas.. and then use the $3500 to practise taking small loss after small loss after small loss after small loss etc etc, until it's all gone... if there's any semi-functional gray matter between your ears, the lessons learnt will be VASTLY superior to anything you ever pick up at any seminar..

6. Good advice guys especially trader and daniel but I am curious what books you would advise gray to get or for pay websites he should give a second thought to joining, I really like the idea of using the excess capital to get some real feel for what day trading or swing trading is like that was good advice, you will find out quickly if you can tolerate losing capital, this truly is a numbers game where you try to maximize your returns and minimize your losses even if your 50/50 with good money management you can still come out ahead. Best of luck gray.

7. grayhorse

grayhorse

Thanks for the response, I've been looking for decent trading forums and it looks like I finally found it. A few random comments-

While I realize the magazine focuses on fundamentals, the instruction in the seminar seems to focus more on technical analysis and short term trading.

So, what are the five books I should read?

Where can I get free info on what sectors and stocks institutional investors are getting into and out of? (for longer term trades).

Software recommendations for someone just starting out?

Who has a good seminar to learn this stuff!?!?!

Thanks again!
    Gray

8. trdrmac

trdrmac

If I am limited to 5 books, here is where I would start.

When to Buy, When to Sell, and The Nature of Risk by Justin Mamis.

Stock Market Technique 1 & 2 by Richard Wycoff

I am sure Daniel has another 5 in mind, so that should give you a good 10 to start with.

As for software, I like TC-2000, for end of day charting. It is good for general screening and chart watching. The software reviews may give you some other ideas.

Investors Business Daily and Thompson FN have some information on what funds are buying. Although if you follow the exchange traded funds www.holders.com and www.ishares.com you will get an idea where money is flowing/leaving from the charts.

Bloomberg.com, thestreet.com, have some good commentary.
    I subscribe to both RealMoney.com and Morningstar.com, both are about $100 a year. RM is more applicable to trading.

Pristine.com has some trading tips/lessons, but I think their seminars are overpriced. Don Bright posts here, you may want to read some of his threads.

Overall though, investing/trading is like being a BlackSmith or Electrician or any other skilled profession. Experience, both yours and others will serve you the best in the long run.

Best of Luck

9. grayhorse

grayhorse

Thanks trdrmac for the well thought reply!

Gray

10. ElCubano

ElCubano

"Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas....

#10     Nov 1, 2002