Bush trying to spin increase in violence in Iraq as a "very positive moment..."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Bush: Iraq’s Resurging Violence ‘A Very Positive Moment’»

Violence continues across southern Iraq today, as radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr is threatening to end his crucial cease-fire by calling for the “downfall of the U.S.-backed government.”

In response, the administration has gone on a desperate PR blitz to label renewed violence in Iraq as “byproduct of the success of the surge.” “It’s “what critics have wanted to see,” said White House Press Secretary Dana Perino, calling it a struggle led by Iraqi security forces.

Today — as rockets rain down on the Green Zone and two American soldiers died — Bush cast the activity as a “very positive moment” in an interview with the Times of U.K.:

[Bush] backed the Iraqi Government’s decision to “respond forcefully” to the spiralling violence by “criminal elements” and Shia extremists in Basra. “It was a very positive moment in the development of a sovereign nation that is willing to take on elements that believe they are beyond the law,” the President said.

It’s hard to see what Bush sees as positive. The explosion that burst an oil pipeline in Basra today? Tens of thousands of Shiite protesters in Baghad? A kidnapped “civilian spokesman for the Baghdad security operation?”

In reality, the violence is undoing the very goals of Bush’s surge. Iraqi forces aren’t trying to restore “the law,” as Bush thinks, but are trying to do the opposite — suppress its political enemies before the October elections, historian Reidar Vissar noted. Most ironically, if U.S.-backed efforts “succeed,” Iran’s hand in Iraq will be strengthened. IPS’ Gareth Porter explains:

The Badr Organisation and the ISCI had always been and remained the most pro-Iranian political-military forces in Iraq, having been established, trained and funded by the [Iranian Revolutionary Guard] from Shiite exiles in Iran during the Iran-Iraq war.

Bush’s comments are reminiscent of former White House Press Secretary Tony Snow’s remarks last June, casting skyrocketing violence across Iraq as “things moving towards success…signs of success.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/27/bush-iraq-positive/

2. So you don't think the central government trying to rein in radical militias is a good thing? Should they just allow a parallel system run by radical shiites to continue to exercise governmental authority and terrorize anyone who didn't bow to them?

Oh I forgot. Your solution is to let obama and Rev. Wright send them white flags.

3. From Orwell's 1984:

War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

From George Bush:

Spiralling violence by “criminal elements” and Shia extremists in Basra "was a very positive moment in the development of a sovereign nation."

4. The real question is, what did the US pay al Sadr for his ceasefire? I can't believe that he ordered the ceasefire "for the good of the country." He must've been paid off handsomely.

Now his army has been resupplied and rested, he's ready to fight again. The only fools in all this are Bush and people who believe that the "surge" was working.

5. From Zzzzzz diary

War is deciding whether to pee standing up or sitting down
    Freedom is sucking my mothers breast at age 49
    ignorance is bliss

6. Still smarting from the spanking earlier today I see...

No worries, take some more Midol, put some progesterone on your butt...you will be okay.

7. Spanking???? there you go again...you need to move out of your mom's house....like i told you before..Spit out her nipple and try to pee standing up every once in a while....spanking? I made you my bitch on the last thread ...now go get me a beer and some moonpies

8. Back to the topic:

From Orwell's 1984:

War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

From George Bush:

Spiraling violence by “criminal elements” and Shia extremists in Basra "was a very positive moment in the development of a sovereign nation."

You make people your bitch?

Okay, whatever your sexual fantasies are...that's all right. Doesn't matter to me if you think of making men bitches for you...these type of gay fantasies appear to be common among the republican and Bush supporters...

#10     Mar 27, 2008