Bush Plans Vast Protected Sea Area in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Politics' started by saxon, Jun 18, 2006.

1. saxon

saxon

Bush Plans Vast Protected Sea Area in Hawaii

by Andrew C. Revkin
    New York Times, Published: June 15, 2006

President Bush will create the world's largest protected marine area today, designating as a national monument a 1,200-mile-long chain of small Hawaiian islands and surrounding waters and reefs that are home to a spectacular array of sea life, senior administration officials said last night. The proposed national monument in Hawaii raises new hope for endangered Hawaiian monk seals and nesting green sea turtles.

In his second use of the 100-year old National Antiquities Act, which empowers the president to protect important cultural or geological resources instantly, Mr. Bush will enact a suite of strict rules for the area, including a five-year phasing out of commercial and sport fishing, officials said. The chain of largely uninhabited atolls, seamounts, reefs and shoals, which sweeps northwest from the big islands of Hawaii, is called the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands and is home to some 7,000 species of marine life.

2. I assume there is no oil to drill there....no trees to cut down for the logging companies, etc.

3. Everyone seems happy about it here except the fishermen.

4. nealvan

nealvan

It's a start why shoot it down the oceans need to preserved just as farmlands need to be preserved so we can use them for food in the future.. Uh oh I used that word (whisper: "future")..:D

5. no sports fishing!?

unreal!!

the rest of the package i agree with.

surfer

6. for a political party that "prides" itself on limiting the role of government over the people for which it stands....

they sure do like to get involved about nonsense and tell the common folk what to do...

7. saxon

saxon

Just testing, zzz...to see if you had shaken off your BLACK AND WHITE, KNEE-JERK world view yet.

As I suspected...it's hopeless. :(

Matt 17:17

How long am I to BE with you? How long am I to BEAR with you?

Your frustrated friend,
    saxon

8. frustrated? frustrated how? :p

9. saxon

saxon

thunderinvalley

Who the f%ck are you...Mr. Post #5??

I'm sure we are all dying to know more about you.

*yawn*

10. pattersb

pattersb Guest

He is justified in his cricticism and synicism, he lives in a wood-free house made of recycled discarded embryonic stem-cells and only travels around in foot-powered vehicles, ala the Flintstones.

#10     Jun 19, 2006