Bush pardons Libby, panders to the hard right...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Clinton is not the issue, red herring...

#21     Jul 2, 2007
  2. #22     Jul 2, 2007
  3. Red herring...

Geez, what an unbelievable bunch of klannish, supporters of the party of Law and Order, harsh sentences, etc. refusing to see the truth of Bush pardoning a member of the "family" simply because he can...

So are you idiots saying that Clinton was right, or that Bush was right to pardon Libby?

Make up your damn minds, please.

All I heard after the abuse of power of the pardon by Clinton was how horrible it was from the klannish, now they see Bush abuse the power...there was nothing out of line with the sentence Libby was given...and their defense of Bush's weakness is Clinton's behavior?

More klannish taking care of their own, and finding flaw in what Clinton did.

What a pathetic and tired old story...simply amazing how the klannish can't just step up and say what Bush did was wrong...

#23     Jul 2, 2007
  4. clinton was just as bad letting all those criminals off. is it not apparent these corporate presidents just do what they are told. they cower to certain groups and screw the avg american every time.

#24     Jul 2, 2007
  5. Paris Hilton goes to jail and Scooter goes free.

As Don King would say, only in America, only in America...

#25     Jul 2, 2007
  6. Sam321

Sam321

Who cares. Nobody cares, but journalists. But when journalists care about something, we all have to hear about it over and over and over again as if a loudspeaker is tied to every telephone pole.

The whole Libby thing is a boring and trivial non-event stubbornly perpetuated by Woodward/Bernstein cookie-cutter wannabes’ and baby-boomer old fart has-beens’, all justifying their journalistic moral high ground with the tired and over-done tar and feathering of government and capitalism.

#26     Jul 2, 2007
  7. Nobody cares? How about the people sitting in jails right now for perjury charges....

Bush should now commute all the sentences of all those in jail for similar offenses as Libby, right?

#27     Jul 2, 2007
  8. To me the big difference is that Clinton made those pardons as he was leaving office. A lot of those people had been in prison for years before they got pardoned, so it certainly wasn't a lightly made decision to wait until the end of his term. In contrast, Bush commuted Libby's prison term before he spent a single day in the slammer.

Why does it matter? There is the obvious question of justice, but I'm more concerned about the message Bush is sending and the future crimes he is inciting. Anyone in the White House staff who is right this very moment considering bending the rules for political expediency will be emboldened to see the President taking care of his own. That may be good for the Bush White House but it is bad for America. Transparency in government serves every single one of us, and Bush has just reaffirmed his intention to keep the White House as opaque as possible, by any means necessary.

Martin

#28     Jul 2, 2007
  9. LOL @ the brazen crooks and the weak, scared sheep who do not stand up to them. keep waving that flag!!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Bush Commutes Libby Prison Sentence

Tuesday July 3, 2007 1:16 AM

AP Photo WX109, NYOL942, NY113, NYOL941

By BEN FELLER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush spared former White House aide I. Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby from a 2-year prison term in the CIA leak case Monday, delivering a political thunderbolt in a highly charged criminal case. Bush said the sentence was just too harsh. Bush's move came just five hours after a federal appeals panel ruled that Libby could not delay his prison term.

That meant Libby was likely to have to report soon, and it put new pressure on the president, who had been sidestepping calls by Libby's allies to pardon Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff.

``I respect the jury's verdict,'' Bush said in a statement. ``But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby's sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison.''

#29     Jul 2, 2007
  10. this is exactly why we need to wait to bring charges against bush/cheney and all the neocon war criminals.

we can't take the risk of them being pardoned. even pelosi has shown her self to cower to special interest groups ... she sure hasnt done what the stupid granolas like zzZZZ thought she was going to do. we need someone like ron paul in the white house and then bring the hammer down. there is so much complicity... i would say there are 100's of traitors that we will need to put behind bars.

#30     Jul 2, 2007