Bush insults a soldier

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Agreed, to a degree. Like I wrote originally, it's just two good old boys having a cock fight. Webb was looking for a fight and the president has much to be self conscious about, so he snapped back.

#11     Nov 29, 2006
  2. Unbelievable. You guys are trying to justify Bush's behavior like a losing trader tries to justify, and hold on to, a bad trade. As I understand it, Webb is a decorated former Marine officer, so I'm guessing he is probably intimately familiar with the horror and insult of armed conflict. Bush, who responded in a cavalier manner, is not. Perhaps that is the very reason he probably didn't think twice before responding so callously to a father's voiced concern for his son. Tell me, have you participated in any military engagements against unfriendly forces?

#12     Nov 29, 2006
  3. Yes. A "private conversation" that Webb is glibly speaking about to the media.

Callous? How so? Webb was asked a question by the Commander in Chief and he gave a smart ass answer. Bush merely reiterated his question. Webb had already snubbed Bush by refusing to greet him in the reception line.

Webb isn't Cindy Sheehan. He's a UNITED STATES SENATOR. From this point on, the war is as much in the Democratic majorities hands as it is the Administrations.

Webb's son wasn't drafted off the family farm. He enlisted. (after the war started, BTW what does Webb's son think of the war) And while we'd all like to see our boy's safely back home, I find it a bit duplicitous that those who "serve" are awfully gung-ho when during decades of peace they're able to get paid, travel the globe, get free medical for life and then retire at 45 in San Diego on a nice tax payer funded pension. From the 1972 end of Nam until Iraq being a military officer was akin to being the sheriff of Mayberry. Nice, SAFE work.

Like I said, if Webb wants to be America's uber war protester then muster up the votes in the Senate to end the war. Is Webb a results guy or just some dickhead who treats the President with the same lack of decorum as would a bozo on a message board?

#13     Nov 29, 2006
  4. As a matter of fact, yes. I too, am a former decorated Marine from the same war as Webb fought in. As I wrote, as a former military man Webb should have shown more respect for a senior commander, regardless of his personal feelings. He knows that, and also knows he can now exploit his position without fear of reprisal. That, is what makes him a punk!
    As an edit: Just to make sure there is no confusion, I was a lowly enlisted man, not a Captain.

#14     Nov 29, 2006
  5. #15     Nov 29, 2006
  6. In Washington, it is not cool to bring politics into a social setting. Officials do not want to go to a social gathering and have to argue policy with every armchair expert or drunk. I have little doubt that Bush thought Webb had crossed this line and was trying to make political hay over a sincere personal comment. It was neither the time nor the place for arguing the Iraq issue, and anyone of normal intelligence would have known that.

#16     Nov 29, 2006
  7. I guess then it would take unusual intelligence to ask someone about his son in Iraq and not to expect a discussion of Iraq.

You guys really are amazing. Do you always rationalize your bad trades this way? :D

#17     Nov 30, 2006
  8. Yep, the President is a bit sensitive on this issue. Webb's subtle message was "you really fucked this up". But I'm glad to see someone bust through Bush's phony pleasantries -- he deserved it.

#18     Nov 30, 2006
  9. You are a drama queen, I hope you didn't faint when you've heard that incredible insult. You will be traumatized for life by this , no doubt.

#19     Nov 30, 2006
  10. People just don't use logic any more.

Even if this is not insult by New York standard, it doesn't mean that other less civilized people will "faint" upon hearing it.

Do you think the person shouting "there is blood on the street" fainted on the first sight of blood? Use some logic. If he fainted, who is doing the shouting?

#20     Nov 30, 2006