Bush insults a soldier

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Nov 29, 2006.

1. And where is the outrage?
    http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/112906.html

At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon.

2. How is this considered insulting to the "soldier"? As a former military man Webb should have had more respect for the senior commander, which was the president. Had Webb made a similar wise ass remark to a senior officer while he was in uniform his ass would have been in a sling. Just a couple of boys in a "who has the bigger cock" fight.
    By the way, calling a Marine a soldier would be considered insulting by most Marines.

3. Outrage? Yea, I'm pretty outraged at Webb's manners. If he has a problem with Iraq then he can lobby 99 other Senators to cut U.S. spending there.

4. Alright, I stand corrected:

Bush insults a marine

This is not the first time that I have to explain it to you slowwwwwly... But I'll do it for you.

Compare the two sets of conversations:

President: Hi! How's your boy in Iraq?

Webb: We're thinking of him everyday. We hope to bring him back ASAP.

Presidient: We all hope for a safe return of our soldiers.

President: Hi! How's your boy in Iraq?

Webb: We're thinking of him everyday. We hope to bring him back ASAP.

Presidient: I didn't ask you that. How is your boy?

Webb: (????Where did this guy learn his manners????)

Maybe you live in New York. But here in the South, that's considered insulting.

5. I didn't know you were a screenwriter, also. Where in published accounts do you read of Webb saying "We're thinking of him everyday"?

This is an EYEWITNESS account: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112801582.html

WEBB VS. WHITE HOUSE: At a recent White House welcoming reception for freshmen members of Congress, incoming Virginia Sen. Jim Webb had an awkward encounter with President Bush. As retold by The Post's Michael D. Shear:

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly ...

6. If that's the way the conversation went I'd agree. It does appear that Webb had much more of a wise ass tone than you infer. Webb is a loose cannon and will make further demonstrations of that as time goes on. Had Allen not been such a dope, Webb would have never won his state.
    And I still don't get how this is insulting to Webbs son. What did the president say that insulted the Marine? The guy asks a simple question and Webb has to start a pissin' contest. He's a punk for doing so.

7. Why do you not think the sentence, "I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," respectful?

And where in the world is the sentence, "That's not what I asked you," not considered rude?

8. I'd cut Webb some slack because he's a former marine. All soldiers are like that (no insults intended).

Even if Webb did have a "wise ass tone," Bush as the president was not supposed to retort back "That's not what I was asking." That was not just "wise ass tone." That was plain rude and insulting.

9. In was a private conversation. A father expressed his concern regarding his son's welfare after being asked about his son by the president. The president makes a callous remark to the father. And you are outraged at the father's manners?

10. Webb shoulda said: "Fuck you, you draft dodging piece of shit." Then coldcocked him. Then kicked him in the nuts while he was down. Then he shoulda slapped Laura on the ass and said "Now go get me some coffee bitch."

Marine Corps Manners

#10     Nov 29, 2006