Bush criticized the old white guy party...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush had some critical words for Republicans in a recent speech, saying the GOP needed to become more than the "old white guy party" and the "party of no."

The GW Hatchet reported on the speech, given to a group of College Republicans:

Bush said he believes the Republican Party needs to cater its message to include everyone in America, and become more than the "old white guy party."

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that in order for a political party to be successful it has to reach out to everyone," Bush said. "In politics, you never win when you say 'us and them.' We need a more welcoming message."

"I sense that our party is kind of in a nostalgic mode where we look back to the good old days," Bush said. "However good they were, and there were some good days, is completely irrelevant in 2009."

He added, "We just can't be the party of no."

A spokesman for the GW College Republicans confirmed:

Andrew Clark, a spokesman for the GW College Republicans, who hosted the speech, confirmed the accuracy of the account to our reporter, Beth Marlowe, though he qualified that Bush also said the "party of No" label was not accurate, which doesn't materially alter his assessment of the party's political travails. "

The former governor's comments resonate with growing GOP concern over the party's chances to gain congressional seats in the upcoming midterm elections.

It's not the first time Bush has critiqued his party's direction. In May, he said Republicans need to look to the future and "beyond the heyday of the Reagan era."

"You can't beat something with nothing, and the other side has something. I don't like it, but they have it, and we have to be respectful and mindful of that," he said at the time.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/23/jeb-bush-gop-must-be-more_n_332201.html

2. Mercor

Mercor

This shows the tolerance of the Republicans.
    If J.B. were to criticize Obama he would be called a racist and banned from all Government contact.

3. Tolerance of the republicans?

LOL!

They know Bush is damaged goods because of his idiot brother...

Think Limbaugh and the other real leaders of the republican party are going to applaud Jeb Bush for his comments?

No freaking way...

Additionally, your attempt to deter from Bush's message is duly noted...that the republican party has become the party of the old angry white guy, and is not inclusive of all Americans.

4. jem

jem

and democrats are the party of government job hating, handout taking, fringe issue wackos and losers.

the republicans do not even represent old white guys - just old white guys who can pay off their politicians.

there has never been a bigger need or a wider opening for a 3rd and 4th party.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's probably an issue more than a few of us, on both sides of the political isle, would agree on. Me included.

Unfortunately there is a mindset that an independent isn't likely to win a major election and a vote for an independent candidate would be wasted, thereby helping the other political "team".

So we continue voting for our individual and subjective perception of the lessor of the two evils. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but sometimes I think this is exactly what "they" want.

6. I think you are right. It is propaganda. The view at my wife's place of work was a vote for Ron Paul was a wasted vote. When no one thinks for themselves and listens to others, this is the result.

Of course, there appears to be plenty of stupid Americans around today who either don't have the intellect or the guts to do it. Or maybe their job is on the line, so they go along.

7. Mercor

Mercor

Once you have a viable 3rd party it brings more power to the extremes.

Few 3rd parties are from the middle.

When the 2 leading parties are evenly divided a 3rd party with just 10% has the leverage to give a win to either side. This is to much power for 10%.

8. The two we have ain't working, so what is the solution?

9. With any luck the solution is in the works and that is to keep this financial meltdown in progress. There have been a lot of crooks exposed and my guess plenty more to come. Once the money is off the table character is up for grabs.

10. I don't recall GWB assembling an enemies list. Unlike some other more tolerant Presidents who have served in the last 8 years.

#10     Oct 24, 2009