Bush and the Economy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jstanton, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Pabst

Pabst

The deaths of the groups of servicemen in Italy and Spain were national events. Big time. Blair has attended "war memorials" but NOT individual funerals. A war time leader must appear outwardly impervious to the death of his troops.

#21     Jan 21, 2004
  2. noddyboy

noddyboy

There is so much anger from the people who hate bush that I feel that they cannot think logically and objectively. When bin laden is captured, America will still not be 0.000001% safer. And the economy is set by policies from many more years than a presidential term. The bubble promoted by Clinton and its burst is very damaging. But unfortunately, it is Bush that will get the blame. How about employment? Many of the jobs were temporary and related to y2k.

If Bush loses elections, he should tell the Fed to buy a billion SPX futures and hire 10 million temporary workers to clean the white house. Then let's see the next president bring the market higher from where it closed!

#22     Jan 21, 2004
  3. After seeing the State of the Union Address last night, I feel for the first time that Bush really does have the ability to lose next year's election.

Peace,
    :)RS

#23     Jan 21, 2004
  4. faux pas
    n. pl. faux pas (f päz)
    1) A social blunder.
    2) A socially awkward or tactless act
    3) A false step; a mistake or wrong measure.

You think the Commander In Chief's attending a soldier's funeral is to be regarded as a faux pas? Funny, we think the opposite, his not attending a funeral, not even just one funeral symbolic for all American Iraqi War dead is a faux pas.

#24     Jan 21, 2004
  5. Pabst

Pabst

No, I meant what I said. I feel it's an act of weakness for a leader during wartime to publicly mourn and it would be insensative to attend some funerals but not attend others.

#25     Jan 21, 2004
  6. I agree, the speech was all over the map and not very memorable. Overall not his best effort to date. And who knows, this Kerry phenomenon could turn into something if he can unite the Democrats. A Kerry/Edwards ticket might be formidable, and would get the blessing of the Democratic establishment, which a Dean candidacy lacks.

#26     Jan 21, 2004
  7. Quote from Fxtrading:

"0 number of federal employees fired or demoted for 9/11 happening on their watch."

Thank you FAA for rubberstamping the commerical aviation industry.

Thank you Commerical Airlines for being so cheap as to not upgrade the doors to your cockpits.

Thank you security personnel at Logan Airport.

:(

#27     Jan 21, 2004
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

This quote from the Bush speech sums it all:

"On 9/11 the terrorist declared war on the United States of America, and WAR is what they got!!!"

Bush has the balls to do something about it, unlike Clinton which did nothing after the WTC was bombed in 1993. Is this what you guys want? Nothing? Just let them continue knocking down our buildings and killing our innocent citizens and let them live in fear of more attacks? You guys are really ridiculous.

Only criticism I have for Bush is I believe we could have done Iraq without troops. Strategic bombing from the air would have done the job, if not carpet bombing would. In fact I believe once you have air superiority you can conduct all wars without troops.

#28     Jan 21, 2004
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Oh no Waggie, you posted on chit chat again. I thought you were going to stay out of here. :mad:

Look, I'm sure you know if you have any experience with probability and statistics that 9/11 was what Nassim Taleb would call a black swan event. A fat tail if you will. In other words, if those terrorists were to repeat the same events 1000 times, not one of them would result in another 9/11. They simply got very very lucky that everything worked the way it did.

Yes, we have problems with the FAA, the airlines, and security at the airport. But spending billions of dollars to fix these problems is not the answer. For if all the money in the world was spent to fix our problems, at the end of the day, it is our own negligence that leads to disaster. If people simply performed their jobs with the way the way they are supposed to, then many of these events would be avoided. Money is not the answer here, nor is making government bigger by regulating the airline industry even more the it is.

What we need is for people to be personally responsible for their actions and their jobs. See we could spend a trillion dollars on super x-ray machines at airports, but for some reason everytime I fly, there is some 21 year airport employee half asleep on the job as I'm going through security. The problem is they just don't care about their job. There is nothing the machine or technology can do if the very workers don't give a damn. It all comes down to accountability. Again.

#29     Jan 21, 2004
  10. It's pure bullshit to think that whoever was president wouldn't have done something. But the something that Bush gave us was STUPIDITY! He let the wacko right wing fringe elements dictate a stupid war policy that is hurting this country. Bush is a hollow man... a big nothing... a little puppet on strings.

m

#30     Jan 21, 2004