Burst Training

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BellWeather, Nov 22, 2009.

1. I've been trying burst training since the start of this thread. I initially started doing the 30-45 sec. sprints, completely stopping for approx. 2 mins to recover, then sprinting again. After 2 strained/pulled hammys, I went back to walking at a slow speed for recovery and all has been good since then. I've definitely noticed some good results. I'm getting leaner while my legs/hips have been getting stronger, and my energy level seems higher. I'd definitely advise anyone who is starting this to take it slowly and to keep loose during the recovery 2 mins, rather than coming to a complete standstill, as some videos suggest. I get bored with the usual longer cardio routines, whereas I find the 20min burst session very enjoyable. Also, I've yet to suffer from a cardiac arrest as Killthesunshine warns, but since I work out at a major hospital gym, I'll take my chances.

#11     Jan 4, 2010
  2. the Cv adaptations won't be the same as longer sessions, won't get you ready for a 5K. :D

What's the point?

#12     Jan 4, 2010

3. Well, since I now have more time to flirt with the cute chicks at the gym, I can easily outrun their boyfriends/husbands over a short distance, if needed. :D

#13     Jan 4, 2010
  4. ya they desire an old man like you that lasts 30 secs LOL :D

#14     Jan 4, 2010
  5. ...but I can do it 6 times over 20mins. :D

#15     Jan 4, 2010
  6. you'd sprain a nut to go with your hammie and have to take 3 months off :D

#16     Jan 4, 2010
  7. I don't know about replacing cardio altogether, but you're right about it being a kick butt workout. I'm doing it on an elliptical, four 2 minute drills at 9mph with 2 minute rest periods. Just about kills this old dog.

#17     Jan 4, 2010
  8. elliptical is for girls with membership @curves lol

be a man grab some IRON! :D

#18     Jan 4, 2010
  9. I was pumping iron back when the govanator was just a bulked up nazi.:eek:
    I don't do much iron anymore. Don't want the bulk.

#19     Jan 4, 2010
  10. that's HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. It's the best method to put you in shape and shed the fat out of your system.

What this does is, the burts you make, it kind of gives a shock to your body. It's very hard for your body to get used to the patterns of the bursts, so the body doesn't adapt easily as it happens on normal cardio workouts.

The shock it this makes to the body, increases your metabolism up to 20% for 48 hours ! Which means you may spend less energy in 12 minutes doing HIIT than a 45 min cardio, but what really sheds the fat away is the after-effect HIIT produces. For up to 48 hours your metabolism will spend up to 20% more energy than what normally would... this is one of the reasons why HIIT is more effective than the normal cardio workouts.

of course hiit is not advisable if you have been sedentary for some time. you have to be somewhat in shape.

I don't like running at all so I do it by jumping with a rope... 1 minute at full speed at 2 minutes jumping at a slow pace or marching on place just to keep the blood pumpin

#20     Jan 6, 2010