Burned CDs last only 2 years, avg.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dividend, Jan 11, 2006.

1. agpilot

agpilot

#11     Jan 11, 2006
  2. 9999

riskarb,
    do you happen to have some links for those products? I may be interested.

#12     Jan 11, 2006
  3. MRWSM

MRWSM

Hogwash. Every single one of my CDR's are still perfect even after 6 years, this blows his theory to hell. Is this guy for real? Magnetic tapes? I transferred everything important to DVD to get away from magnetic tape garbage. I would be very surprised if CDR's last anything less than 20-50 years.

BTW $2.25 is pretty expensive for a CD when you can get DVD+RW rated at 100 years for 0.50 cents that will store more than 6 times the amount.

#14     Jan 12, 2006
  4. (1) Magnetic tape. No commentary necessary. If you didn't know, read about the disaster recovery of tape archives;
    (2) CDR's. Lots has been written about this. For all 'good' (?) brands, storage humidity and temperature are by far the predominant factors. Lifetimes of up to 100 years have been proposed for properly handled CDR's. Like you, MRWSM, I also have excellent experience with 5-8 years old CDR's. I wouldn't believe too much in paying extra for something that is going to keep things "longer than average". Sounds too easy.
    Nevertheless, properly cared for HD are supposed to be very superior. Will they still spin 100 years from now? Anyhow, I use my backup HD's very sparingly.

#15     Jan 12, 2006
  5. I have CD-Rs 8 years or older working OK, I never bought that chip ones that has no brand, I always by TDK or Sonny, do not know if that has some to do with it.

#16     Jan 12, 2006
  6. MRWSM

MRWSM

I've always used Imation for CDR's, nothing special and they all still work. I might actually have some discs much older than 6 years. A few years back I bought a used BMW 740il with a 6 CD changer that when I got home I found the changer filled with CDR's that are in terrible condition worn down and scratched everywhere, clearly abused to the extreme and they still all work also. BTW Sold the car, major lemon.

#17     Jan 13, 2006