Burn in for new computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tango29, Jul 10, 2003.

1. On "burn-in".

The underlying principle is that for every system of any complexity, most certainly electronic systems and computers, the likelihood or probability of failure over a given time interval is typically highest at the beginning of the system's life.

This probability of failure then drops rather quickly with time to reach a (let's hope) a low level holding over a long period of time which corresponds to the "useful lifetime" of the system. After this lengthy low level, the probability of failure (over a fixed time interval) will climb again signaling the end of the system's useful life.

To put figures on this phenomenon is what would be required to answer the question of burn-in requirements. Certainly manufacturers gather a lot of statistical data to quantify this reliability process. In fact, this ties in with their warranty and one may assume that they would not let a complex system as computers out of their factory without making sure that the system is beyond its "first hours of life" where failure would be most likely and cost them money for servicing. It would be safe to assume that for typical use no burn-in is necessary as the manufacturer has probably not taken any risks on warranty.

If the user requires a very high level of reliability, it may be necessary to observe the system's behavior over a sufficient time period. In this case meaningful statistical failure data needs to be available in order to say anything meaningful about such requirement.

#11     Jul 10, 2003
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

I saw a show on Tech TV about burning in a new computer. They said install the game Doom and let the demo run I believe over night I think. Theory is if something is going to break it will happen, if not you have a computer that will last longer than you want it to.

#12     Jul 10, 2003
  3. Burn is designed to test a system.

The electronic parts that go into a computer are high reliability.

However, like all electronic parts, these parts can fail. But, it is usually the case that these parts will fail within the first 30 days of stress and use. Hardware failures are higher in the first month than the subsequent months...all things equal. Silicone takes up to 20 years to break down.....so the ram, motherboard, sound card, etc. tend to last a long time after the initial "burn-in" period.

The parts like a hard drive, floppy, CD Rom Drive, fans, etc. that are mechanical are typically more likely to fail than the solid state parts, and indeed they will fail over time....just like moving parts in a car.

(Hint: Backup your data)

The best burn in process is turning the computer on, and leave it on for a couple of hours. In this time frame, it fully warms up.

Then turn it off, and let it cool down for an hour or more.

Repeat this process a dozen times or so, and you can be pretty sure that the components can handle being heated and cooled down (expansion and contraction comes through heating and cooling), and that they can handle the initial surges of power.

Heat, and irregular voltage are the number one causes of
    hardware failures.

The new computers have electronic switches, unlike the old computers that had mechanical switches. Thus, when the new computers are turned off, some voltage remains to the motherboard. When they are turned on, they don't get the cold shock of voltage the old ones did as the motherboard is already "hot" with some voltage, another reason for less computer failures and greater reliability.

So, keep your computer cool, and always use a UPS, and the odds are in your favor.

(A study was done that showed 25% of failure of new computers in the first week of ownership had to do with shipping problems, and parts becoming loose in the process).

#13     Jul 10, 2003
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Should a desktop workstation be left on?

I used a desktop in the 90's while running a business. I know it was on at least a year at a time.

I went to a laptop to trade 3.5 years ago, and shut down everyday.

I'm just wondering how the majority of trading computers are treated.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

#14     Jul 13, 2003
  5. TGregg

TGregg

This has been discussed in a previous thread (do a search to get find the discussion). In general, I'd advise to power down at the end of the day (as I usually do).

#15     Jul 13, 2003
  6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Thanks Gregg.

I am also curious as to how prop trading firms treat their computers. I am not very good with research. A few attempts with key words, and that's it. I do feel more comfortable leaving my computer on as most businesses.

Jeffrey

#16     Jul 13, 2003