Burn in for new computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tango29, Jul 10, 2003.

1. tango29

tango29

Do new computers still need a burn in period? I just ordered a new Dell last night and according to the website it is shipping this morning, so curious if this is something I will have to do or not?
    Thank you

2. What is a burn in period?

3. tango29

tango29

I thought it was for the electronic components. I never really asked , but was under the impression it was akin to the breakin period for a car. Maybe it is something from the past.

4. maxpi

maxpi

Dell burns them in or so I have been told.

You could do a burn-in but you need to control the temperature, maybe keep it at the max rated operating temperature for a week or something like that.

Max

5. Break in periods for new cars or motorcycles are ones in which the driver puts the engine, and the rest of the car thru several HEAT CYCLES, where the car is allowed to heat up and then cool down many times . . .

This does not mean racing the engine at 10,000RPM everywhere that you go, nor does it mean lots of idling or driving in higher gears than necessary with low RPMS.

It means several short trips that allow the engine to "seat" all of its parts, and this is done thru several cycles of EXPANSION and CONTRACTION.

I would imagine that a "burn-in" period is similar.

6. tango29

tango29

Do computers need to be burned in? As I mentioned, mine was ordered last night and is being shiiped today all ready, so I find it hard to believe Dell did any kind of a burn in. Could I ask them? Sure, but I am not sure I would get the correct answer, not that I will here, but most people seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable in various areas here so I have started here.
    Thank you

7. I have had 7 computers over the past 10 years, 3 from Dell. I built one which my father still uses after 4 years. I have never had a "burn-in" period on any of them, nor do I know what that is.

8. gnome

gnome

Years ago (still?), box makers would run test loops continuously for a few days... thinking if a part were defective, it would show early on. Nowdays, perhaps "things" are so standardized that a burn-in period is unnecessary.

9. tango29

tango29

Thank you for your answers! Now I can't wait for it to get here so I can put up way to many charts and follow too many things on my computers. Kidding , I hope!

10. maxpi

maxpi

Yes, burn-in in general is not done anymore. Quality is engineered in in the first place because it is cheaper and better for everybody involved that way. When I started in Electronics about 30 years ago chips had a 5% failure rate so we built stuff and then ran it at an elevated temperature to try to accelerate the failures to occur more in the first few hours of the life of the product so the customer would not experience that.

Max

#10     Jul 10, 2003