bund vs ty

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by shamrock, Nov 29, 2005.

1. iago

iago

I receive daily from Lehman brothers the differential in yield between the Ten years and Bund spread... about the correct hedge, bloomberg gives a hedge of 100 TY to 58 Bunds (10-6), I actually use 8 to 5... hope this helps.

regards.

#11     Dec 20, 2005
  2. Are there any underlying reasons using 1.60 (8:5) instead of 1.67 (10:6) ? Is that mainly due to exchange rates?

Thanks in advance!

#12     Dec 20, 2005
  3. iago

iago

I don't only look at the ratio that bloomberg gives, I also use an excel sheet that calculates the ratio using historical prices, the mix of both ends up with that 8-5 ratio, it doesn't changes much... the important thing is to have the trade in the correct direction...

Regards

#13     Dec 20, 2005
  4. meskhot

meskhot

On a pure Interest rate perspective, the correct hedge is currently 69 bunds for 100 Tnotes.
    I took into account the current OAS duration on BBG (8.17 for Bund and 7.6 for the Tnote) and a EURUSD of 1.1965

However, to trade the spread I would take into account the historical volatility difference. The TY is much more volatile, so I would naturally use a ratio higher than 69/100
    But it depends on your trade horizon.

#14     Dec 20, 2005
  5. Certainly true. Thanks!

#15     Dec 20, 2005
  6. Boblman

Boblman

This is interesting... Ive been trading a completely different ratio and was working fine, will chart ratio given when I get back to the office. Last time I checked on Bberg the ratio was completely different to what you say.... Hope I didn't completely screw up my inputting.

Thanks a lot.

#16     Dec 23, 2005
  7. iago

iago

well, when I charted it, putting more weigh on the Bund than on the 10s was more stable, but in terms of interest rates it should be the opposite...

happy holidays

#17     Dec 23, 2005
  8. Boblman

Boblman

Thanks... Obv direction is key... have found the bund more volatile than the note of late, but as I can't be trusted to input simple data into Bberg I may well be wrong on this too. Look forward to new chart on Wednesday!

Happy Christmas (or festive season, whatever we're meant to call it now!)

#18     Dec 23, 2005
  9. Frege

Frege

Anyone knowing the new Euro-BUXL future?

#19     Dec 23, 2005
  10. Boblman

Boblman

There's nothing there... 'tis like Eurex U.S. was (is?)

#20     Dec 23, 2005